Dulux Once - any good?

Comments

• My decorator brother calls it "once is not enough"
  • Gazcon
    Gazcon Posts: 548 Forumite
    I don't often post on here but this has made me break cover :)

In a word, No!

Might have been a faulty batch or something but I found it horrible gloopy stuff, like painting with glue. It needed 2 coats anyway, even though it was on top of a similar colour, and dried all lumpy. I ended up buying a tin of the normal stuff in the same colour to go over the top, and took what was left of the Once stuff back for a refund. The customer service person I spoke to said they get a lot of complaints about it.
    Labour are the chip on this country's shoulder. No positive vision, no aspiration, just toxic politics. Hope not hate.
  • I think there is some confusion here!

Dulux once emulsion is great in my experience and covers greatly.

One coat gloss is a definate no no and is very poor, for gloss you need an undercoat, possibly two coats and then a top coat of liquid gloss!
  • claireb
    claireb Posts: 142 Forumite
    Thanks for the info. I might have to give the 'Once' a wide birth!
  • JBsplit
    JBsplit Posts: 153 Forumite
    get a good quality under coat it makes all the difference, dont use dulux twice.......i mean once.!!
  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just painted a room with Once emulsion (light colour on white walls) and was happy with the results. Just a small bit of touching up required on the first wall I'd painted.

One thing which hasn't been mentioned here so far is the frankly useless 'guarantee' that Dulux offer. If you're not happy with the results you have to phone them and then they reserve the right to come round an inspect the walls within 28 days. What are you going to do: live without a room for 28 days in the hope of getting your tenner back or just get on with it and slap on another coat while the room is empty?
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I painted my kitchen with it and it had funny coloured flecks in the dried paint - I sent my tin to Dulux as requested - they sent a carrier for it and Lo and behold it went missing on route but I did get my money back from them - steer clear of the once - the other stuff is fine.
    s
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, since this is about paint and I've just recently had my entire house painted, I thought I'd stick my oar in. I used either Crown or Dulux (OK OK the decorator I paid used it while I just bought it). In my bedroom I chose a paint from Dulux's Odoreasy range...it's the smelliest stinkiest paint I have ever encountered. It smells different to normal paint - not as strong - but it produced a background smell which hung around for about four weeks - really unpleasant, like a whiffy trainer or something in the corner. Minging!
  • catriona79
    catriona79 Posts: 855 Forumite
    Hi all MOneysavers. This is my first post here - have only been reading (for months now) so far and decided to be brave today ;)
    especially as i might know the answer!

We moved into our house about a year and a half ago. The previous owners had decorated the very small and dark hallway ina fiery red colur and i have been planning to paint over it (maybe this summer!...) and so have kept eyes peeled for any info.
    Good housekeeping did tests on what covers bright red paint, they tested dulux, crown and B&Q own label. Believe it or not, B&Q won. Apparently covered the red completely.

I am going to give it a go!
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • sarahluv
    sarahluv Posts: 162 Forumite
    i recently used b+q's one coat emulsion. excellent!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure