Back Date Jobseekers

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Marker wrote: »
    Sick child, no car, new to area - is that good enough? I can prove that I have been actively seeking a job for the last 6 months ... although for 1 week in December I had tocancel afew interviews as my husband was awa so couldnt look after the child whilst I went.

No car and new to area are definitely not good reason for being unable to claim, especially as you can claim by phone or online! A sick child would imply that you were unavailable for work, so I wouldn't go down that line.

Generally speaking, the only acceptable reason for not claiming at an earlier time is that you were misadvised by a DWP employee.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Zara33 wrote: »
    Marker :confused: i thought you had a husband who works in the forces surely you have his wages to live on :confused:

We went from a double earning household to single earning household with the same double outgoings. Cos the other half works I cant claim?

I didnt know I could claim online or over the phone, I enquired about this aweek before my emploment finished and was advised to go to jobcentre once I was out of work, because my daughter was ill following me finishing work, and because I had no famili ynetwork to beable to leave her with Ihavent been able to go anywhere.

As I was wrongly advised when I first enquired maybe that'll help.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • dmg24
    We went from a double earning household to single earning household with the same double outgoings. Cos the other half works I cant claim?

I didnt know I could claim online or over the phone, I enquired about this aweek before my emploment finished and was advised to go to jobcentre once I was out of work, because my daughter was ill following me finishing work, and because I had no famili ynetwork to beable to leave her with Ihavent been able to go anywhere.

As I was wrongly advised when I first enquired maybe that'll help.

You were not told that you could not claim online or by phone. All because they did not spell it out for you, it does not mean that you were misadvised.

Surely common sense would dictate that if you could not attend you would ring up instead? What would you do if you could not make a job interview - attend a month later and say 'sorry I wasn't told I could ring you'?

You need to take responsibility for your actions here. You could have rang them.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    You phone the freephone number of the jobcentre and say that you wish to claim. They will ask all the questions on the application form and complete. Please note that if you phoned today your application will be registered today but they do not pay for the 1st 3 days, they will phone you and arrange for you to go to your local jobcentre to check all the details taken over the phone and explain to you what you are required to do for the money they will give you. I was made redundant in September and received the standard job-seekers of £60.50 per week due to husband working and having a good salary and also having savings. Good luck and go on the phone as soon as possible to start the ball rolling
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • Marker_2
    dmg24 wrote: »
    You were not told that you could not claim online or by phone. All because they did not spell it out for you, it does not mean that you were misadvised.

Surely common sense would dictate that if you could not attend you would ring up instead? What would you do if you could not make a job interview - attend a month later and say 'sorry I wasn't told I could ring you'?

You need to take responsibility for your actions here. You could have rang them.

DMG did you not read my post, I said I rang a week before I finished my job to enquire about it and WAS TOLD I HAD TO go to ajobcentre, nothing about a phone and nothing about online. I dd ask whether I could do it over the phone but was told because this was my first claim I had to go in -I specifically asked if I could do it over the phone because I did not know where the jobcentre was
    Just because you seem to know the back end of the benefits system does not mean we all do, having never claimed before I wouldnt know what to do so please drop your attitude problem with me. Isnt this board for help as you have stated to me once before :cool:
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • dmg24
    DMG did you not read my post, I said I rang a week before I finished my job to enquire about it and WAS TOLD I HAD TO go to ajobcentre, nothing about a phone and nothing about online. I dd ask whether I could do it over the phone but was told because this was my first claim I had to go in -I specifically asked if I could do it over the phone because I did not know where the jobcentre was
    Just because you seem to know the back end of the benefits system does not mean we all do, having never claimed before I wouldnt know what to do so please drop your attitude problem with me. Isnt this board for help as you have stated to me once before :cool:

So why did you not ring again when you realised that you could not make it in? I can't see how you expect them to believe that you were actively seeking work, when you were unable to find five minutes to contact them. As I said before, you need to use your common sense, as they will in assessing your claim for backdating.

My information is accurate, and therefore helping you. Would you rather I lied to you and said that it will be no problem that you made no effort to contact them?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Marker_2
    Zara33 wrote: »
    Marker :confused: i thought you had a husband who works in the forces surely you have his wages to live on :confused:

So does this mean I cant claim or what - cos the other half works and is in the forces and obviously is on a good wage!:cool:
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • you can backdate your claim up to 3 months. you need to fill out a seperate form called a jcp5 or jsa5 (sorry cannot remember). you mostly tick boxes on the first couple of pages asking if you were actively seeking work and checking that you were able to work and werent sick or on holiday. they will then ask for employers that you contacted and what dates (if you have any letters or docs to support this staple these to the form) the form is only about 6 pages takes about 10 mins to complete, if that, so worth a try. the form will then go to a decision maker who decides if you had good enough reason for not claiming jsa earlier. if they refuse to backdate you can always appeal against this decision ona gl24 form. hope this helps you also (this will not hold up the processing of your current claim.)
  • Marker_2
    dmg24 wrote: »
    So why did you not ring again when you realised that you could not make it in? I can't see how you expect them to believe that you were actively seeking work, when you were unable to find five minutes to contact them. As I said before, you need to use your common sense, as they will in assessing your claim for backdating.

My information is accurate, and therefore helping you. Would you rather I lied to you and said that it will be no problem that you made no effort to contact them?

Your attitude is unfortunate. I did not ring again because I thought I was not entitled. The conversation I had with the operator at the time pretty much said this, but on further investigation by myself the last month I realise that this may be incorrect, note why I am asking if it gets backdated because of misinformation by the operator. Do they record calls?

For the last few months I have done non stop interviews (travelling over 180 miles at a time to do so), proving my jobseeking won't be difficult, however for a while beginning of December was not able to do so, have had job interviews I have had to cancel due tolack ofchild car, plus car troubles ontop o that, but thats another story!
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    So does this mean I cant claim or what - cos the other half works and is in the forces and obviously is on a good wage!:cool:
    Marker tbh i haven't got a clue i always assumed that when people had husband's/ Wife's who worked they they would have to survive on that wage of course i am probably talking rubbish, fill in a form at least that way you will know for sure.

ETA:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/DG_10018757
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family