Bannister Spindles too far apart. What should I do?

Hi!

I've been slowly stripping paint from my bannister and staircase and I want to do something about the spindles being too far apart. To the point where, if I left my toddler at the top of the stairs, he could fit through them.

I HAVE to do something about it because I can't spend the next few years not letting him play upstairs without me! I'd like to do it myself but I'm no diy expert. There is room for another spindle in between the ones there but I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart as it's at the top of the stairs and I'm worried about not putting it back together properly.

Does anyone know how to add spindles without taking it apart? Would it be easy to dismantle and reassemble? (ie do I have to make grooves in the top bit to fit the spindles into?) Can anyone think of anything to cover it with that would be secure and tidy to avoid all the diy stuff!

Thanks for reading this! :o

Gingham
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.

Comments

• newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Hmmmm U could get some MDF and screw it to the handrail and newel post, wont look very nice but will stop any danger, other than that, u could try cutting new spindles between the existing ones and glue and nail in place. if it was my place, Id rip it out and put new in!! The gap should not exede 100mm
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • I'd like to do it so it looks good and is safe. I'm worried that if I rip it out and do it all again it'll be neither! :D
  • We had the most horrid stairs you can imagine when we moved in and replacing the bannister rail and putting in spindles was a major improvement. It really is quite easy and most satisfying so don't worry about it. Just get a kit from Wickes download/print booklet
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • There is some info over at the screwfix forum about replacing spindles.

As above, try Wickes, B&Q, Homebase, etc for a leaflet which will also help to explain how it all fits together. Your biggest problem will be in finding spindles that match what you already have. Easiest option is to replace them all as this means you can cut a few of the existing ones in half to remove them, much easier than trying to remove the fillets.
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
  • My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • I think it's too hard. I need to find a good handy man. Thanks for all your help though. Actually, my FIL is coming round on Sunday. We're meant to be going to a lovely garden centre to get some plants. Maybe if he SHOWS me what to do that'd be better...

This being a money saving housewife thing is harder than I ever imagined! Oh for my teaching days of dealing with unruly teenagers. At least I knew how to deal with them!
  • newfunk
    I think it's too hard. I need to find a good handy man. Thanks for all your help though. Actually, my FIL is coming round on Sunday. We're meant to be going to a lovely garden centre to get some plants. Maybe if he SHOWS me what to do that'd be better...

This being a money saving housewife thing is harder than I ever imagined! Oh for my teaching days of dealing with unruly teenagers. At least I knew how to deal with them!

Long shot, but what part of Uk are ya from?
  • In a Galaxy far far away...
  • newfunk
    South Yorks...

LOL..Ok not very cost effective for me to price this job....lol......Take me longer to get there, than to do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business