Working Tax Credit/Free School Meals - advice appreciated.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Isn't this what CTC & child benefit are for?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    dktreesea wrote: »
    My advice is to write to your MP and protest that the conditions up in Scotland are much more "low income friendly" than in England. I was in the council (in Scotland) today and was given a brochure to apply for help with back to school expenses (we get WTC).

I thought the criteria for free school meal was the same in Scotland as in England - Could you confirm?

Ta

:beer:
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    amanda40 wrote: »
    I thought the criteria for free school meal was the same in Scotland as in England - Could you confirm?

Ta

:beer:
    Post 5 on this thread explains.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    I don't claim WTC (I'm a student) but I still get my NHS exemption card, in fact my new one came in 2 weeks ago.
    Am I being given this by mistake??
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm in the same position as I get working tax credit can't get free dinners or free school transport it's grossly unfair much better in england not to work
  • Dontknowanymore
    Dontknowanymore Posts: 5,522 Forumite
    surfsister wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as I get working tax credit can't get free dinners or free school transport it's grossly unfair much better in england not to work
    Better to not work just because you dont get help with school dinners or travel? :eek:
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    I just don't get it! Surely travel and food costs are adequatley met by having the child related benefits (CTC and CB)! If not something is seriously wrong with peoples personal budget planning!!
  • I am just writing to say that certain people are being incredibly insensitive, as a mother of a disabled child I understand how little help you get financially to care and support a child with disabilities or illnesses (or both). I had to give up work to care for my daughter and now i get a 'great' amount of benefit of about £50 a week to look after her. This is not a choice, and no the government do not help enough to cover living costs especially the high costs of having a disabled or ill child. It is normally the financially well off people that are highly critical of anyone on benefits, who have no experience of it. I have never been a benefit scrounger and to suddenly have to rely on them is extremely hard. Pressure to look after the child, give up work or cut down on work, and cope on very little benefits when costs are so much higher of living in this situation. Please understand that yes you can cope with paying for children under normal circumstances, but this is very different. Unless you are in that situation it is very easy to be critical, so dont' be so harsh. rbbadger - i empaphise with you, I am in the same situation, my other daughter takes packed lunches as we have no choice as we cannot financially do it otherwise. And i'm afraid it is the only thing to do, there seems to be no way around it, whatever your income if you receive wtc you cannot get it. Good luck though in everything, be positive. x
    Best Wins: Universal Studios Family Trip, Florida, Champions league final tickets, flight and accommodation. £100 clothes voucher and London Fashion week tickets, Motor racing VIP tickets and hotel. biffy tickets at abbey road.:Rudimental private gig, copenhagen break etc j

• AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 August 2010 at 9:29PM
    surfsister wrote: »

Hmmmm, are the school dinners and public transport REALLY that good? My kids would freak if I started buying them school dinners - they enjoy their packed lunches way too much, AND they enjoy the comfort of the air conditioned van in the summer, heated van in the winter. Working does have it's benefits - however, the OP in this case is temporarily unable to work - so is looking to see what help she might get in the meantime. Definitely better to work though surfsister :)
  • rbbadger wrote: »
    I don't understand how it works though. If I cancel WTC will I lose NHS exemption? I am heavily dependent on this as I have a disabled child who is seriously ill at the moment. Also find it hard to chase up all the different benefits etc around my caring and work commitments...there must be an easier way to sort it all?

I thought children were exempt NHS charges anyway? Regardless of income/benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure