"Agreed in Principle" ?? What does it mean

Options
I have recently applied for a loan with the bank and it has been agreed in principle, and I am now awaiting a decision from the underwriter, what does all this mean.

Also, prior to this loan from the bank I went for finance with a car garage for a new vehicle and it was delcined with black horse, they then decided to take it upon themselves to do more searches without my consent, can these be deleted as i am trying to keep my file quite clean since clearing old debts and defaults within the last 2 years

Please help, i desperatly need this loan for a car xxxx :money:

Comments

• Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It means that based on the information you have provided so far you application looks ok, but if you have a poor credit history and the detailed seach fails their scorecard that you could still be declined.

You probably consented to additional searches when you did the black horse application, so getting them deleted will be tough. However, searches don't count against you too much.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I probably means that you have been accepted based upon what you have told them, but will be subject to proofs of (for example) income, employment, identification etc.
  • Rossa_3
    Rossa_3 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    The underwriter's job is to assess the risk that you might default on the loan. So even if you get a decision in principle that will only have been based on your bank account profile, income, how long you've lived at your current address, are you on the electoral roll etc. The underwriter will check your credit file and based on the history of your bad debts, may accept your application, accept with a higher rate of interest because of your credit history or decline.

I'm sorry to say that if you've had a number of searches that can say to some underwriters that you have obviously been declined elsewhere and are desparate to get credit. Saying that it does take some time for all the searches to show up as your records are usually only updated once a month at the agencies such as Experian so in the short term you may be lucky.

Hope you get the deal.
  • Innocent_Guy
    Innocent_Guy Posts: 5,369 Forumite
    Options
    Rossa wrote: »
    The underwriter's job is to assess the risk that you might default on the loan. So even if you get a decision in principle that will only have been based on your bank account profile, income, how long you've lived at your current address, are you on the electoral roll etc. The underwriter will check your credit file and based on the history of your bad debts, may accept your application, accept with a higher rate of interest because of your credit history or decline.

I'm sorry to say that if you've had a number of searches that can say to some underwriters that you have obviously been declined elsewhere and are desparate to get credit. Saying that it does take some time for all the searches to show up as your records are usually only updated once a month at the agencies such as Experian so in the short term you may be lucky.

Hope you get the deal.

Searches are compiled on a live database. If you are subscribed to credit expert you will notice that your searches show immediatly or within 24hrs of your application
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family