This is a challenge guys :) Essex

OH and I have a couple of nights in March that we would like to check out the Essex coast - dont know why! but now and then you see pretty Essex villages on tv and think there must be places worth visiting.

NOT Southend or the big towns, thanks :) There must be some hidden gems down there near sea and open country and places to take our dogs for a mooch.

Any suggestions please if you know the Essex coast.

Comments

• hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Oh, no one has a suggestion?

Does anyone know what Maldon is like please
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maldon is nice. has long high street, the promenade park with its thames barges and long river walks.

if you go to maldon you are within reach of burnham on crouch and the dengie marshes. burnham is a smaller version of maldon with LOTS of countryside. the dengie is remote but lovely, mind you i am biased lol

hope that helps. google for more info and pics. or ask here
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Burnham is nice. Try the White Hart
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    you're right , it is a challenge , as the others have said burnham is fine as is maldon , mersea island is nice and so is jaywick , however as an essex man , i prefer suffolk - yuou've got aldebrough and southwold , woodbridge ,orford warblerswick etc which are much nicer than the essex coast
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Yes, we visit those quite a lot - we just thought it was time we saw if Essex had anywhere interesting to stay. Im sure it must have :)
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sorry but I have to but in and comment- I would avoid jaywick as I've driven through it and it looks like a war zone.:o
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • I once stayed for a week in Manningtree as a base for exploring the Stour Valley, Constable Country etc.
    http://www.visit-manningtree.co.uk/

As a small town it has plenty of shops and eating places, but is also easy to explore from:
    -- By car - easy to get to beach places like Frinton, Walton; historic places like Colchester, the old port area of Harwich, and the old cloth-making villages of South Suffolk (Lavenham etc.).
    -- On foot (we walked to Flatford Mill 5 miles along the Essex Way [?forget exact name] and got taxi back. Had hoped to get bus, but only ran at height of summer! Also nice walks in other directions.
    -- By train, as on rail line.

The place we stayed at doesn't seem to still be available - can't find it online. Probably too small for dogs (plural!) anyway.

There are probably prettier places, but we found Manningtree very convenient. Worth considering ....
  • 1) Actually, Flatford Mill was much closer than 5 miles. I remember now, we went further on to Dedham (as that, supposedly, was where to catch the bus back!).

2) As someone else stated, South Suffolk is probably prettier, and there seem to be more cottages available than in Essex..

This one is further inland than you originally wanted (Rattlesden) but does short breaks. Good reviews from dog-owners. Oddly, it says pets 0, which is why I struggled to find it a second time! You'd have to check they still welcome pets. Plenty of others on the same site, though not all will do short breaks.

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/the-cottage-25023
  • You're right it's a bit of a challenge, Essex is not exactly the premier tourist destination. As a local I try to get out where it's less flat, but there are some nice spots.

Maldon and Burnahm are attractive, if you're visiting Maldon it's worth going round the other side of the estuary to Heybridge Basin. There are a couple of pubs by an attractive lock where the canal joins the river.

If you like to walk, the sea wall is about the only place in Essex you can go any distance without crossing roads or being tramelled between fields of crops. You can do a circuit of Mersea on the seawall (~12m), and it's all walkable between Fambridge and Salcott. St Peters on the Wall at Bradwell is one of the oldest churches in Britain. Harwich is not particularly pretty, but it has the Redoubt, the Treadwheel Crane, a radio & TV museum, and the Electric Palace. Without wishing to be uncharitable, Jaywick holds the distiction of being one of the most economically depressed areas in the country.

If you're travelling any distance to get here, it might be worth venturing inland too. Finchingfield is picturesque, as are Coggeshall and Thaxted, with lots of timbered buildings. There are windmills at Braintree, Finchingfield and Thaxted, and Castles at Colchester and Hedingham. Saffron Walden is attractive, with Audley End nearby.

The towpath between Maldon and Chelmsford is a pleasant walk, especially by Paper Mill Lock. Just up the hill from the Lock there's a nice village and Country Park at Danbury. At Kelvedon Hatch there's an old cold war nuclear attack bunker which is now open to the public.

Not in March, but Maldon is worth a visit to see the Blackwater Sailing Barge Match, it's on June 1st next year. It starts and finishes by the pier on Osea Island, so if you want to see them under sail you will need a vantage point out on the seawall somewhere (or on a boat), but you can watch them returning to the quay afterwards from the prom in the park. The quayside is be teeming with barges during match weekend.
  • jack_pott wrote: »
    You're right it's a bit of a challenge, Essex is not exactly the premier tourist destination. As a local I try to get out where it's less flat, but there are some nice spots.

Maldon and Burnahm are attractive, if you're visiting Maldon it's worth going round the other side of the estuary to Heybridge Basin. There are a couple of pubs by an attractive lock where the canal joins the river.

If you like to walk, the sea wall is about the only place in Essex you can go any distance without crossing roads or being tramelled between fields of crops. You can do a circuit of Mersea on the seawall (~12m), and it's all walkable between Fambridge and Salcott. St Peters on the Wall at Bradwell is one of the oldest churches in Britain. Harwich is not particularly pretty, but it has the Redoubt, the Treadwheel Crane, a radio & TV museum, and the Electric Palace. Without wishing to be uncharitable, Jaywick holds the distiction of being one of the most economically depressed areas in the country.

If you're travelling any distance to get here, it might be worth venturing inland too. Finchingfield is picturesque, as are Coggeshall and Thaxted, with lots of timbered buildings. There are windmills at Braintree, Finchingfield and Thaxted, and Castles at Colchester and Hedingham. Saffron Walden is attractive, with Audley End nearby.

The towpath between Maldon and Chelmsford is a pleasant walk, especially by Paper Mill Lock. Just up the hill from the Lock there's a nice village and Country Park at Danbury. At Kelvedon Hatch there's an old cold war nuclear attack bunker which is now open to the public.

Being an 'Essex Girl', I have to agree with the above and add the following - A visit to Tiptree should be included, The Wilkins Jam Factory hosts a fab Tearoom, Shop and free entry to the Museum. If then heading through to Colchester go via Layer Marney Tower.
    MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport