Current best place to buy Euros please?

Anyone bought Euros recently? I need to buy in the next 2 days - any recomendations? Thanksx:confused:

Comments

• "Euros 'R' Us" or alternatively search the threads
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,352
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I think what hammy means is that this question is asked every other day.........

M and S on the high street
  • At the top of the page is a STICKY. Spending abroad thread
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, Here is my list of top places on how to get money to spend abroad:

1. Nationwide Debit Card for ATM withdrawals from destination country (no foreign loading) / Nationwide Credit Card or the Audi credit card for purchases in destination country (but watch out for Dynamic Currency Conversion) (no foreign loading for purchases, BUT watch charges for cash withdrawals).
    [FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    2. SAGA credit card (if you are over 50) for purchases in destination country (no foreign loading for European purchases, 1% for rest of the world, no cash withdrawal interest if balance repaid in full BUT 1.5%/£1.50 cash withdrawal fee).

3. Any other debit card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / any other credit card for purchases in destination country (but for both CHECK T&C's to see exact charges).

4. Thomas Exchange Global ("TEG") in central London - pay and pick up at store.

5. Travelex online (remember Travelex will price match any other exchange service, i.e. the one above) -pay online, pick up at airport.

For price matching: order through Travelex online as you would do normally, then call up TEG (02072401214 or 02078281880) and get a quote re their exchange rate. Email Travelex: [EMAIL="customerservices@travelex.com"]customerservices@travelex.com[/EMAIL] (must be done on the same day) stating the following: your Travelex reference number, your currency quote from TEG (and the fact you got it from TEG) and your address (Travelex will send you a cheque refunding the difference). Also Travelex normally acknowledge receipt of your email. Full terms and conditions of the Travelex Price Promise are on the Travelex website.

6. Marks and Spencer - pay online or pay and pick up instore.

7. Online FX (using this link ensures free deliver) - pay online, delivery to home.

8. Thomson Travel (they seem to use Amex as their travel money provider) - pay online, delivery to home.

9. Co-op Travel (they use Currency Express / Exchange and offer free delivery for orders over £300) - pay online, delivery to home.

10. Post Office (while probably not the best rate, there are many of them around, so may be convenient) - pay online, pick up at PO or pay and pick up at PO.

11. Haggle with High Street travel agent (which may ensure better rates than 5 to 9 above) - pay and pick up instore.

With 4 - 11, if you are paying with debit / credit card check your T&C's as many providers charge for the privilege of using money exchange services.

Here are links to ATM locators: VISA and MasterCard

Also please read Martin's article: Spending Overseas and Loading Technicals

Also look at the these forum threads: Travel Money: The List & The Cheapest Way to Spend Overseas Discussion Area and How to buy TCs and foreign currency

Hope this all helps!!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • To thos ethat replied kindly, thanks so much for your help. For those who replied with sarcasm; conside: I am a single parent on VERY low income and WITHOUT broadband and on a VERY SLOW connection. In the true interests of moneysaving it is quicker and therefore cheaper for me to beg the indulgence of some kind person who is UP TO DATE (the key point in my posting was I am going TOMORROW) rather than take forever to read a sticky. I thought money savers were supposed to be kind to each other. Intolerance seems to be invading this site as well as our country. WHat a shame.:o
  • The reason I said theres a STICKY is the very first item is EXACTLY what Pin has posted above.
    Compare The STICKYbelow with Pins Post
    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Way To Spend Overseas article.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Thanks to Pin for the list below:
    Its been asked soo, soo many times, where is the best place to get holiday money?

I know there are articles about holiday money, etc, however I thought I would write a little list of my top choices:

1. Nationwide Debit Card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / Nationwide Credit Card or the Audi credit card for purchases in destination country (but watch out for Dynamic Currency Conversion).

2. Any other debit card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / any other credit card for purchases in destination country (but for both CHECK T&C's to see exact charges).

3. Thomas Exchange Global in central London.

4. Travelex online (remember Travelex will price match any other exchange service, i.e. the one above)

5. Marks and Spencer

6. Online FX (using this link ensures free deliver).

7. Thomson Travel (they seem to use Amex as their travel money provider).

8. Co-op Travel (they use Curreny Express / Exchange and offer free delivery for orders over £300).

9. Post Office (while probably not the best rate, there are many of them around, so may be convinient).

10. Haggle with High Street travel agent (which may ensure better rates than 5 to 9 above).

With 3 - 9, if you are paying with debit / credit card check your T&C's as many providers charge for the priviledge of using money exchange services.

THANKS TO PIN FOR THIS LIST

My article on getting cashback from Travelex may help you save a bit more
  • pin
    Forumite
    Actually, BudgetFlyer, if you read the sticky and my post above, you will see they are slightly different.

I've updated my little list, and keep on updating it on a regular basis, however the sticky isn't getting updated.
  • To thos ethat replied kindly, thanks so much for your help. For those who replied with sarcasm; conside: I am a single parent on VERY low income and WITHOUT broadband and on a VERY SLOW connection. In the true interests of moneysaving it is quicker and therefore cheaper for me to beg the indulgence of some kind person who is UP TO DATE (the key point in my posting was I am going TOMORROW) rather than take forever to read a sticky. I thought money savers were supposed to be kind to each other. Intolerance seems to be invading this site as well as our country. WHat a shame.:o

i thought it would be cheaper and more sensible to read a sticky and a list that someone has spent a great deal of time over. if you expect someone to come on here and give you a definitive answer.
    the answer is ........
    nationwide flex account and use atm abroad but don't fall for the dynamic currency conversion that has become an option on some foreign atm's.

if you wait a bit longer for some other replies you'll get Old Tom Smith whose never had a problem when changing his money using the Post Office in Dingly Bell Village but doesn't know what the exchange rate was.
    have a nice trip anyway
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,352
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    To thos ethat replied kindly, thanks so much for your help. For those who replied with sarcasm; conside: I am a single parent on VERY low income and WITHOUT broadband and on a VERY SLOW connection. In the true interests of moneysaving it is quicker and therefore cheaper for me to beg the indulgence of some kind person who is UP TO DATE (the key point in my posting was I am going TOMORROW) rather than take forever to read a sticky. I thought money savers were supposed to be kind to each other. Intolerance seems to be invading this site as well as our country. WHat a shame.:o

If you are reffering to my post, I along with others thought it best that you read a sticky, but I did also add that M and S are the best on the high street, which incidentily you didnt thank me for, not that i was looking for any.
  • pin
    Forumite
    To thos ethat replied kindly, thanks so much for your help. For those who replied with sarcasm; conside: I am a single parent on VERY low income and WITHOUT broadband and on a VERY SLOW connection. In the true interests of moneysaving it is quicker and therefore cheaper for me to beg the indulgence of some kind person who is UP TO DATE (the key point in my posting was I am going TOMORROW) rather than take forever to read a sticky. I thought money savers were supposed to be kind to each other. Intolerance seems to be invading this site as well as our country. WHat a shame.:o

I think people are just getting tired of answering the same question, pretty much every day. Its not anything personal to you, so please don't take it that way.

There is a sticky and the first page does have a list of best places to buy currency.

Anyway, I hope you had a good holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family