PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

Options

Comments

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Will take a look in my local butchers then, not used one before. Lidl's chicken is a great price too.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Thrifty cuts of meat

cheap cuts of beef
    Brisket, skirt, chuck, shin/flank, silverside (even topside, unless well hung), oxtail

All of these make a great "pot au feu" or Bouef en Daube or any other slow cooking dish. Essentially, you start with an onion base, brown the meat, add stock, flavouring & vegetables and leave it to cook, slowly, for a couple of hours. You can add variation with different vegetables/flavourings, including wine, brandy (cheap version only!).

If you have a mincer (unlikely) or food processor (possible) then you can buy a cheap cut of meat and make mince yourself. True ... a processor won't create the thin sausage-like threads of mince, but the meat will be minced (don't overdo it, or you'll end up with finely ground meat. OK, but maybe not what you want).

For homemade burgers, we buy skirt. Generally can be quite tough, but makes excellent tender burgers.

Skirt or chuck makes an excellent steak & kidney pie. Or minced (processed) a bolognese (ragu)

If you buy an expensive roast cut remember to use the leftover bones to make a beef stock. Freeze it and use as a base for a future slow cook beef dish. And recycle the meat as a Cottage Pie (it came about as a dish to use up leftover roast beef, not as one for using fresh, raw mince).

Cheap cuts of lamb
    Scag end (neck), shanks, shoulder (honestly!)

Trendy braised lamb shank is a cheap cut, but you pay a premium for it if you eat out! Cook it long & slow (as with all cheap cuts of meat). Just braise some onions & garlic. Brown the shank, add flavourings, stock & veg and you have a classic restaurant dish.

Scrag end or neck makes Lancashire Hot Pot - just the lamb, layered with potatoes. Traditionally served "as is" but add veg or serve a side dish, if you prefer.

Shoulder - can be fatty, but this should melt during the cooking process. Just place the joint on a rack inside the roasting tin. The fat imparts the most beautiful flavour and makes the roast very tender. Use any leftovers for Shepherd's Pie (traditionally made from the roast leftovers, not raw minced lamb).

And then, use the bones to make a stock. Freeze and store until you have the next cheap of cut of lamb that you intend to slow cook.

Cheap cuts of pork
    Hock, trotters, belly

If you can get decent quality (free-range or organic) the belly will make a good roast. It's the cut used to make streaky bacon or pancetta. Or it can be slow cooked, perhaps with prunes or apple. Or it will make a great oriental flavoured dish. Or the great claissic French Cassoulet!

Trotters - are an acquired taste, but tasty they are! And do use the left over bones, gristle and cartilege as a stock. The gelatine, in particular, has a beautiful flavour. Freeze the stock, and use it as a base for Pea & Ham soup!

Hock - often called the rich man's trotter as it has equally good quantities of gelatine .. and flavour. You can joint it to make spare ribs or boil it with lentils or another pulse. It makes a great stock or pick off the bits from the bones for a hash or soup....

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    this has probably been asked before but i want to start going to my local butcher and was wondering what where the best cuts of meat to buy to go into the slow cooker, i am totally useless at knowing things like this so somebody please help i need beef, pork, possibly lamb??
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brisket often gets a good mention here. There are recipes in our recipe collections which you can find by using the "Indexed Collections" sticky at the top of the board. There are recipes in both the Old Style collection and the Slow Cooker one.

There may also be (I can't remember 'cos I've indexed so many things lately) some threads listed that talk about brisket.

Good advice is to ask your local butcher. He'll not only tell you about economical cuts he might even suggest good ways of cooking it :)

Edit: I can't believe I haven't collected any brisket threads :eek:
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've done shoulder of lamb and lamb shanks in the slow cooker - absolutley scrummy. They are a fattier piece of meat but If you put enough water in, when the meat is cooked, take it out and remove all the fat. I bought a large fat separator jug for £1.99 and once the liquid has cooled a little, pour into that and it's so easy to remove all fat. You can keep some of the fat to make a roux for your gravy base - no need for gravy granules either now :)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Recipes which state stew/braise are generally referring to cheap cuts of meat because those are the one's which need slower cooking.

So ....

Beef: (cuts of beef - diagram)
    Bladebone
    Brisket
    Flank
    Oxtail
    skirt or chuck

Lamb: (cuts of lamb - diagram)
    Breast of Lamb (very fatty though!)
    Neck (scrag end)
    shoulder

Pork: (cuts of pork - diagram)
    Belly
    spare rib

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GREAT POST QUEENIE !!

:)

I'm going to add this post to our recipe links :) Right now. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A hand of pork is also very cheap and and is extremely versatile, you can roast it whole and use the leftovers, there will be loads, oryou can remove the meat from the bone before cooking and you should get enough for 3 or 4 casseroles or curries.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

May I ask something please?

I can only eat poultry, lamb or pork(which I dont really like!)I do occasionally cook cheap brisket joints (around £3.00)for roasts for hubby & daughter, with enough left for a few sarnies. Brisket cooks very well in the slow cooker with either ale, beer, cider etc.

I love lamb but have always put off buying neck of lamb as it looks scarey to me :eek: Is there bones in the neck? How easy is it to cut up? Would it be ok in stews & casoroles etc? Also, what is the shoulder of lamb like? Always looks fatty to me-how do you cook this?

I normally buy lamb either already in cubes (£2.95 350g Asda-makes enough stew & dumplings for 3-4 people) or a half leg of lamb for roasts (£5.00 Asda-enough for large roast 3 people and a couple of rounds of sarnies).

How would the price compare with the neck and shoulder to the cubed lamb and leg that I normally buy?

I know pork is quite cheap, but always find it chewy, even when cooking in slow cooker with soup/sauce etc. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Thanks
    Penny-Pincher!!
    XXXX
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shoulder of lamb is much cheaper but cooked properly it's a much juicier cut of meat because it has a higher fat content.

Neck of lamb should aready be cut up into pieces, I just bung them all in a stew and let the kids have the pleasure of picking them up and gnawing the meat off the bones.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family