Moving a gas meter outside

Hi,

I have recently been quoted £680 by SGN to move my meter from underneath the kitchen sink to outside.

This seems like an absolutely insane amount and they won't even reconnect the pipes to the combi boiler inside (the guy who did the survey said this).

Does anyone know if there's a cheaper way to get this done?

I read here (http ://cfi.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5479) that any competent person (who is Gas Safe Registered) can move the gas meter as long as the control valve doesn't need to be moved.

If I change gas suppliers can I get the meter moved for free?

Thanks

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No,a GSR cannot move the meter. It's not your property.
    It's a captive market and the costs are always very high.
    They might change a meter for free-but they won't move it, that is far more work.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ok, looks like I am just going to have to stump up the cash. Thanks for the info.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    problem is the control valve is going to me moved as that is on the incoming pipe too
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It may well be possible to retain the service,unaltered,haivng the ECV inside,but to resite the meter outside.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    It is possible, but would be capped if SGN was out on an emergency and found it. You cant have copped from the ecv to the inlet which is the only way of doing what you have suggested.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • C_Mababejive
    chanz4 wrote: »
    It is possible, but would be capped if SGN was out on an emergency and found it. You cant have copped from the ecv to the inlet which is the only way of doing what you have suggested.

Yes it is possible to have a no flexible inlet from the ECV to the regulator inlet provided that such a pipe is marked as carrying gas (tape) and there is a label on the meter indicating the location of the ECV. It isnt that commonplace,but the regulations do allow it. The only issue might be that to be 100% correct,you should seek the permission of the MAM (meter asset manager) before working on their meter.

A meter could easily be relocated for example,back to back from its existing position,in a standard outside meter box for a fraction of the cost of excavation/service alteration.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Its the GT that you would need the permission from, the meter wouldnt need working on.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • C_Mababejive
    chanz4 wrote: »
    Its the GT that you would need the permission from, the meter wouldnt need working on.
    The GTs responsibility ends at the network termination point, i.e the ECV. Anything from the ECV to the meter outlet belongs to the MAM.
  • macman wrote: »
    No,a GSR cannot move the meter. It's not your property.
    It's a captive market and the costs are always very high.
    They might change a meter for free-but they won't move it, that is far more work.

Wrong again....

A GSR engineer CAN move the meter. The GT would be needed to move the ECV.
  • C_Mababejive
    A GSR would need MET1 and the permission of the MAM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure