PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• Why dont you ask your MILs advice. Its a good way of keeping her on side and if she has good tips she will pass them on.
    I cant help as my 74 year old mum insists on doing xmas dinner for everyone (9 of us this year, but 16 last year) so i havent done one for years
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    I would leave the parsnips to the xmas morning. Also oiling the semi prepared roast potatoes looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello All,

As many of you im going to prepare much of the food for xmas day on xmas eve so the day is less hassle as possible as we have family over, am also using disposible baking/roasting trays (i bought them cheap so kinds OS!!)
    Can any one give me hints/tips/help if thIs is correct?

*Parsnips to be roasted - chopped & marrinaded-kept covered in fridge on tray ready to be popped in oven on day I parboil the carrots and parsnips the night before and toss them in butter so they're ready to pop into the oven on the day and will roast quickly.

*Roasts - As above - do i par boil these & oil coat them ready? I make these a day or two in advance. Roast as normal but slightly undercook them and roast on the day from frozen.
    *Mash - ill do xmas eve & heat on day. Leftover mash won't be as light and fluffy so stir in some extra milk/cream/butter before reheating.
    *brussels - ready to be done with pancetta on day.

**Meat!! - Im going to roast these day before. do i slice it then so all ready or slice it on day? - if slice before how do you keep it juicy & not dry? I prefer to cook the meat on the day but if you are doing it beforehand slice it and reheat it (covered) with a little gravy to keep it moist. Make sure it's piping hot before serving. If you're doing stuffing it can be made in advance too and reheated at the last minute.

Thank you so much - I am quite organised really just wanna make sure its brill as In Laws coming for 1st time & shes normally the 'family host!'

**Cant do much before as having family thing on 23rd & using most of the freezer space then!!*

Merry Christmas!

Ness
    x x

There's a current thread on preparing as much of the Christmas dinner in advance with lots of tips so I'll add your thread to that one to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • I know my husband thinks I have gone mad as I got my veg ready for christmas lunch. ( They have just opened an adli near me and sprouts and parsnips were 39p!!!!!)

I par - boiled my sprouts ready to fereeze and parsnips also.
    I scored the parsnips and lightly cover them with honey ready to pop in the freeze. so on the day wack in oven and steamer.

I'm not the only one am I ? :eek: . only cooking for dh and little legs who is 22months lol

• sandiep
    sandiep Posts: 915 Forumite
    Red cabbage is best when cooked the day before. All the flavours come out much better. Braise it in a slow cooker with some red wine, some apple or sultantas, and anything else that you have in the food cupboard. Yumm
  • yumm, thats a new one to try sounds goodx
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi jimjams mom,

Well done for getting organised so early. There are others with the same idea, so I'll add this thread to the current one on preparing Christmas dinner in advance.

Pink
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now in the freezer for Christmas dinner (everyone thinks I'm crazy, they already take the pish for me freezing everything!)
    -parsnips and carrots for roasting, nearly done, just need browning more
    - potatoes, 3 portions, more to do (when there's room)
    - cheesy leeks, in dish, ready to throw in oven
    - mince pies
    - stuffing balls, just need browing more (OH moaned, he likes his soggy in a big dish!)
    - Carrot and swede mash

Still to pre-cook
    - more roast potatoes, freeze (!)
    - cook the gammon
    - as mentioned, do red cabbage day before (sounds yummy, thanks)
    - find out how to cook the beef, hopefully cook overnight christmas eve
    - brandy butter (buy more brandy, may have put rather a lot in the mince pies!)

Will think of more!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    My carrot and swede mash is all done, parsnips and sprouts are banched and frozen too (don't fancy fully cooking them in advance!).

Sprouts will be steamed over the potatoes while they cook and parsnips will be honey-glazed before roasting along side the roasties.

Need to do stuffing balls and pigs in blankets this weekend. No more room in freezer for anything else after that until the turkey comes out :D.
  • deebee
    deebee Posts: 511 Forumite
    I made my roasted vine tomato soup today, and popped it in the freezer, so that's a%age of Christmas day sorted; the plan is as follows:

Roasted Vine Tomato Soup
    ~~~
    Prawn cocktail - a la Gordon Ramsay - with chopped apple
    ~~~
    M & S Beef Roast
    Grilled salmon fillet for me (I don't do meat)
    Yorkshire pudds
    Honey roast carrots
    Minted Peas
    Cauliflower cheese
    Roast and mashed potatoes
    ~~~
    Might make a chocolate marquise from scratch, if I don't find a yummy dessert in M&S
    ~~~
    coffee, cheeseboard, grapes, after eights
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family