put unleaded petrol in a diesel van

Comments

• johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Not worth risk with 20 pounds petrol in unless you tank holds 100 pounds worth?

As it ran ok don't start it again
    Just get it drained and filled with diesel and a new filter fitted
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    I didn't know what else to do. Oh My God!

What will happen now?

If your extremely lucky, you may have just caught it in time before the petrol started going through the van. You would know if petrol has started going through the engine as the van would be smoking quite a bit, it would start feeling unresponsive and eventually cut out. If it has, then you'll be looking at replacement fuel pump, filters, fuel lines etc which will be very expensive.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    Just get it drained and filled with diesel and a new filter fitted
    Good advice.
  • OMG I just looked at the AA website and it has something called fuel assist, where they drain the tank but it costs £189.99!

I haven't got that sort of money and I am really kicking myself for a stupid mistake. Is there any other alternative at all? as I really don't have that sort of money. :(
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    OMG I just looked at the AA website and it has something called fuel assist, where they drain the tank but it costs £189.99!

I haven't got that sort of money and I am really kicking myself for a stupid mistake. Is there any other alternative at all? as I really don't have that sort of money. :(

I believe it is illegal to attempt to drain the tank yourself, however I may be wrong.

Try calling around local garages and ask them how much they'll charge, you never know, you may find someone who can do it cheaper. But either way, you will have to get the tank drained, It's unfortunate that it is so expensive just to remove some fuel but that's the way it is. :mad:
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • The van is a VW LT35 medium wheel base
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    OMG I just looked at the AA website and it has something called fuel assist, where they drain the tank but it costs £189.99!

Do it yourself. You have to drain the entire system, not just the tank. It'll then need all fuel filters changing, refilling and repriming so there's a good couple of hours there. And you'll need to dispose of the old fuel. Thats why its £190.
  • Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    I'm afraid you don't really have a lot of options. I suppose you could try ringing around some local garages in your area and ask them to tow the van in and drain the tank but it's probably going to end up costing the same if not more.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    £190 is a bargain. Our friend had to replace his whole engine - £800 for a second hand engine and another £300 on top of that to take out the old oen, put in the new one, and flush the rest of the parts. I would cough up the money pronto, especially if the AA guarantee their work.
  • Thanks and I would never attempt to do it myself as I have no clue Hammyman. but I still think it's alot of money - money which I don't have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure