PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stretching leather shoes?

Comments

• rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are such things as shoe stretchers that you can still buy, tho I dont know where from. Try one of the instant shoe repairers.

I still have my fathers one from the 1950s. He was a Master Boot Maker.:)

Before you ask, sorry I need it - I take size 12.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Saturate a pair of socks,wring out and wear them with your shoes for as long as it takes for them to stretch to the shape of your feet.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    rizla01 wrote:
    There are such things as shoe stretchers that you can still buy,

You can buy a shoe stretcher from a shoe shop. Ours are £22 :eek:
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I started the 'stretching a pair of football boots' thread and have to admit that we resorted to proper wooden shoe stretchers (bought off ebay for £7 each :eek: AND a tin of the spray stuff :rolleyes: ). They worked really well.

I consoled myself that the footy boots should've been £90 but he got them for £30...... and that the stretchers will probably come in handy again.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Ems*Honie
    Ems*Honie Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if the spray can be used whilst wearing the boots? (or could it loosen the leather on my feet,, ooohhh eeeuuuwwww ;) )
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Ems*Honie wrote:
    Does anyone know if the spray can be used whilst wearing the boots? (or could it loosen the leather on my feet,, ooohhh eeeuuuwwww ;) )

Thats the best thing to do. Spray them, that softens the leather, then wear them and they should stretch to the shape of your feet. :xmassmile
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • I'm a size 5 and a half too, and I know what you mean, skintchick, about most shoes not having half sizes. It's really annoying. Usually the ones that I really want don't fit, and the ones that fit properly are really expensive. It's getting a bit better now a lot of shoes are made in European sizes, though. Size 39 is usually "translated" as 6, but it's actually slightly smaller than a 6, so will often fit me OK.
    I'm not sure if it helps with stretching, but I know that petroleum jelly (e.g. Vaseline) can help soften stiff leather on new shoes. It would normally be applied on the inside though, so the synthetic lining might be a bit of a barrier.
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Anyone got any tips of stretching trainers. I have a paid of good trainers that are just a tad too tight and for that reason I hardly wear them. I know you can get sort of wooden shoe stretching things, but they expensive. Anyone got any cheap or money free tips on stretching the trainers?
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Get them wet and then stuff them completely full of screwed up newspaper as tight as you can possibly cram them in and then leave them to dry. Remove the newspaper when they are completely dry.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    I have used potatoes to stretch the toe/ball areas of shoes. You need to choose one that has a good shape, just a bit bigger than the front of your shoe and is clean. I left it in for 24-48 hours.

Good luck!
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family