Something Special for a Wedding Present

Hi folks. I've had a family wedding surprised on me - it's this August and it's in USA. Will cost me a couple of grand to go between flights, hotel and spends so I'm hoping to make something special for a present to save on money.

I would love to make them a quilt but think it would take up all my luggage space and a naked guest at the wedding might be too much. :eek:

Any ideas for something small, light and packable? I have good sewing and craft skills.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Doesn't fit any of your criteria but what about a 1912 copy of Mrs Beeton? Either the cookbook or the whole works which covers household management etc.

Can be acquired from Ebay for a reasonable amount.

Did this for a friend several years ago & got her a 100 year old copy for the year she got married & put a note with it - something like "100 years ago another new bride may have enjoyed using this". Can't remember words exactly. She'd moved into a very very old house & it suited the property (& her).

Americans are usually keen on history & most of the ones I know would be over the moon to have an old book like that.:D
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    What about a cross stiched picture?
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • barbeka
    barbeka Posts: 54 Forumite
    Patchwork quilts are big business in the USA so they have a better choice of fabrics, patterns etc than we can get so unless you're experienced at patchwork I'm not sure that it would be a good idea.

I like the idea of a x-stitch picture though & you could do one which incorporated their names and details of the wedding, almost like a sampler. Someone did me a x-stitch card like that for our wedding & I framed it & had it up for years. The same person did a small one in a circular frame (about 3" diameter) for my mum as a keepsake which she really appreciated.
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Thank you but cross stitch isn't my thing. I have made several very successful patchwork quilts so not worried about experience for that, just space.

I might have found someone local who can do a special ceramic design for me. :-)
  • Tired_Mom
    Tired_Mom Posts: 670 Forumite
    How about something like a table runner either for dinner parties or a christmas one and you could make matching napkins to go with it. They won't take up anywhere near as much room.

The other thought is that you could go with the quilt and use one of those vacuum compression bags for storing out of season bedding etc.

HTH
  • katz03
    katz03 Posts: 72 Forumite
    If you like quilting how about cushion covers and get the cushions over there.
  • hi,

are they religious? if so a family bible, not that expensive for a good leather one they can record family details in.

also would suggest something like belguim lace - do not get matching tablecloth/napkins as good quality ones made in belguim cost a fortune, but you can get table centre pieces for a good price and they look very impressive. these usually come gift boxed, and are light and easy to pack.
  • scrappie_2
    scrappie_2 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi OP - if you would like to make the quilt and have time to do so, pack it in a 'space bag' in your suitcase. It can then be re-packaged into a box when you arrive in the US.

That's what I did - worked a treat!!
    Scrappie:p
    No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
    VSP #54

• Tamster150
    Tamster150 Posts: 627 Forumite
    What about taking a quilt top and then take it to a long-arm quilter in US. I dont thing quilting services in the US are anywhere near as expensive as they are here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure