PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest meal

Comments

• debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    ASDA do bacon pieces too... ;)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    1 x Large chicken (1.8kg) - £3 - cooked in slowcooker = 4 meals for 2 (adult/child)

Meal 1: (last night)

breast meat from one side of chicken
    1 x large jacket spud cut in 2 (cooked in foil with chicken)
    veggies from freezer (left-over from previous meal)
    gravy made from juices in slowcooker

Meal 2: (tonight)

Chicken rissotto - using breast meat from other side of chicken, stock made from chicken carcass, and onions, rice and seasonings.
    Served with HM foccacio bread (picked up from another post on this board)

Meal 3: (tomorrow night)

Mediterranean chicken - using meat from one leg & wing and adding value tomatoes, herbs/spices and diced onions/peppers/courgette/aubergine.
    Served with linguine and garlic bread (left over foccacio bread spread with HM garlic butter and toasted)

Meal 4: (Saturday lunch)

Chunky chicken soup - using meat from other leg and any other scraps, cooked in broth made from carcass, adding selection of veggies from fridge and some pearl barley.

Most likely be enough leftover to freeze a portion too :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    Wow, Curry Queen, your menu has got me drooling all over my keyboard, even though I've already had my lunch today! I might even be inspired to try some of your ideas myself, so thanks for that. :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hehehe ... most of it is from tips I've picked up across the boards so I have everyone else to thank for it really :T

Mind you if I don't trot off to the kitchen shortly and get the dough started for the foccacio bread (well, shove the ingredients in the breadmaker LOL!) we won't be having that tonight :eek: ... this place is just toooooo addictive :p
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    Tell me about it....my lunch hour ended 14 minutes ago....oops! :)
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morrisons sell bacon pieces/offcuts on their bacon counter. I buy these for making quiche. :)
    Mink
  • seese
    seese Posts: 24 Forumite
    Try 2 value tins of soup any flavour 78p.

Any leftover cooked vegetables.

1 pkt dumpling mix 45p made into small sizes.

20 mins in the oven.

less than two pounds for a heartwarming stew.

We like ours with crusty bread bought at any large supermarket after 5pm cos its usually half price or less.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I make a carbonara type spaghetti with bacon bits, cooked in the microwave, add some tinned value mushrooms and a tin of Campbells condensed muchroom soup. Heat up, pour over spaghetti, add chesse on top! My kids love it!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    aargh, aargh - more of these please - huge cash crisis this month, and need ideas to feed us cheap.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,858
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    I started a thread here on a meal to feed six for £1.62 and martin turned it into a competition to find cheapest way to feed six, so some good ideas there
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure