PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you use Calgon?

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you have to use anything? or are we one of the lucky one's. Our machine is about 10 years old and has never given us any problems.

Here's hoping I havn't spoken too soon now. :o
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think it depends on how hard your water is - we throw in a tablespoon of water softener into the machine every now and then, costs about £2 for a big bottle that seems to last a while. Much better than overpriced tablets!
    I might give vinegar a go, that seems to work for everything!
    :happyhear
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There are a couple of older threads on Calgon that might help:

Calgon, Limescale and Landfill

DON'T use Calgon!

Pink
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Have just installed a new washing machine. We live in a hard water area and I'm wondering whether using it will help prolong its life? I'm skeptical of a lot of advertising claims, and my previous machine lasted 12 years without using it, expiring for totally different mechanical reasons.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I do use Calgon in my machine, but we live in an area with water so hard that it has a mohican, tattoos and piercings!:p
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    You do know that you've now put that "Washing Machines Live Longer With Calgon!" jingle in my head - probably for the rest of the night.

....on-topic, though, I've found that using Calgon (or generic anti-limescale product) has worked well in the past, never had a washing machine get gummed up with all chalk while using it!
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• Just to put a different veiwpoint, I live in a really hard water area (like Lamewolf) and have never used calgon. Have never had a washing machine clog up. I use some soda crystals and vinegar in with the wash though.
    :)Do more of what makes you happy:)
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm with sammy. Guess in some ways it depends how much the washer costs but calgon is expensive and you have to work out by how long it would prolong the life of your washer.

I live in a v hard water area and just use a scoop of soda crystals in every wash and use vinegar with towels (still like a drop of fabric softener for my clothes though!)
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • Hi there :beer: I live in a hard water area (but not as scarily hard as Lamewolf's :rotfl: :rotfl: ), and have never used Calgon :D

I'll add this to the existing thread so that you can see others' comments ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • When buying my new washing machine last year I was suckered into believing I needed the calgon which I was assured came with the machine as a complimentary box :mad:

Of course it didn't come free. I live in one of the softest water areas in the country to add insult to injury. Free to a good home...one box of calgon:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure