Ending AOL contract early without penalty

I'm tied into my aol broadband contract until May, Im not happy with my service since migrating(10 days ago) to new car phone warehouse network, frequent disconnects, reducing download speed, increased pings etc...some sites blocked

Iv tried everything their tech support suggested..ended with them saying they could find no faults..can I end my contract early based either on my service not being as reliable as before ie 'not fit for service'...I use my BB for online gaming and have had to withdraw from competitions due to disconnections.

.. or maybe because I haven't agreed to the new car phone warehouse 'terms and conditions' since the takeover of AOL..I don't accept them anyway cos the new network isn't as good as what I had before but they still want the same monthly payment...I emailed them 2 days ago and told them I wanted out and to send me my mac..pointing out the reasons why...they sent me this:
Dear Customer

Thank you for reporting a breach of our community standards.

We will review your report and take appropriate action within 72 hours. If we require further information, we will contact you by email; however, we regret that we are otherwise unable to respond to or further acknowledge individual reports.

If you would like to find out more about staying safe online, please visit AOL's Safety & Security centre at http://safety.aol.co.uk/. Remember, the quickest and easiest way to get support on AOL is to visit our online Help area at http://help.aol.co.uk/

If you are an AOL Broadband subscriber and would like assistance with a technical support or billing query, or you need to change your password, please sign on to the AOL software and visit AOL Keyword: Contact AOL, or telephone AOL Broadband Member Services on 0844 499 5555.

Kind regards

Community Standards Team
AOL UK
Any advice on ending my contract early without penalty would be helpful

Comments

• tuk
    tuk Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bump!!! bump!!!
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you have a netgear router? If so this temp fix has worked for me. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=753000
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • tuk
    tuk Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Those dns alternatives might speed up web page loading a little bit, but it will not solve any of the other problems Iv described that are associated with the new 91.?.?.? network
  • samtheham
    samtheham Posts: 5 Forumite
    Cancelling your AOL Broadband membership
    Text Size
    A | A | A

Cancelling your AOL Broadband membership

If you still wish to cancel your AOL Broadband membership but cannot reach Member Services, you may alternatively contact us by post or email from your master screen name to request that your account be cancelled.
    For identification purposes, please make sure that you include the following information when you contact us. We will be unable to process your cancellation without these details:
    • Your full name
    • Your master screen name
    • The last four digits of the credit card, debit card or bank account number you provided when you registered with AOL Broadband
    • Your day and evening contact telephone numbers
    These details will enable us to quickly validate your cancellation request (should this be necessary) and provide you with any support in the event that you are experiencing difficulties with using the AOL Broadband service.
    Please note that if you have decided to leave AOL Broadband, we do recommend calling our Member Services number for the quickest handling of your cancellation request. For letter and email cancel requests, please allow 72 hours for processing from our receipt of your request.

1) By post - write to:
    Cancellations Department,
    c/o Member Services,
    AOL Broadband,
    PO Box 387,
    Southampton,
    SO30 9AL.
    (Please remember to include your validation details and your day and evening telephone numbers so that we may respond to you.)
    2) By email:
    Send email from your Master Screen Name at:
    (Please remember to include your validation details and your day and evening telephone numbers so that we may respond to you.)
    Our Member Service Representatives will be happy to assist you with this or any other request. It is also our hope that we may be able to resolve any problem that is causing you to consider leaving AOL Broadband.
    Finally, as always, if you have any comments or suggestions as to how we could improve AOL Broadband, we would be delighted to hear them. You may pass these along at or when you call to speak with one of our representatives. Many thanks in advance for your feedback and see you online!

try this good luck it aint easy :rotfl: im not allowed to post links unfortuneatly
  • TyC20
    TyC20 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 August 2010 at 5:53PM
    I know the response is a bit late but seriously I just found a way (by accident I might add) to cancel an AOL account early without having to pay a fee!

So here is the background info:

I've been with AOL for a few of years now, I signed up to them when they had that "free" dell laptop deal, but for £24.99 it soon felt not very free after all. So with one month to go after 23 months of an extortionate price plan I couldn't wait for my contract to end, but AOL had other plans, they phoned me up and managed to convince me to stick with them by offering the same package but instead of paying £24.99 a month I would now only pay £6.99 a month, GREAT I thought, I just had to agree to a contract of another 12 months. Hey, if I can do 24 months 12 months should be a breeze. So I agreed to a new contract, I got the same great service (I've never really had any problems with AOL, just one or two disconnections but nothing major) for a fraction of what I was paying before, but after 6 months AOL called me up again and manged to get me to agree to join one of their new line rental packages (I had always been with BT) after being told that their new phone line would give up to 24 meg d/l speeds. Again I thought great, now here's where the trouble starts, a good fews days before the 'go live' date I experienced connection problems, AOL told me not to worry and that after the switch over my connection should be completely restored and better then ever. Then the 'go live' day arrives, do I have a broadband connection ermmmmm... no. After calling technical support and having my router switched on and off about 6 times I get told theres a problem in my area and to wait a few hours. Fine, I went to work came home and guess what, yes thats right no connection. The next morning I called back again asking technical support to please check my line, but no I had to reset my router at least 4 times before that option was even considered then when it was finally tested yes thats right there is a problem in your area please wait 4-5 hours. I thought ok its only been 24 hours maybe there is a massive fault give them time, even though when I was with BT they were knocking at my door literally 20 mins after hanging up the phone and within another 15 mins I was back online. But after three days of no broadband (which is like torture in our day and age) and at least 6-7 more patronising phone calls to AOL technical support I'd had enough. I was given 10 days to cancel and after 3 days I was ready to do so. So I call them up and say I've had enough of this crap cancel this new contract, they tell that theres a problem in my area and to please be patient, I tell them I don't care and to cancel it, CANCEL IT RIGHT NOW. They tell me to call whoever I want to be with and they will take over my service, so I call yes you've guessed it BT and go back to them. After ordering a new BT line it hits me what happens to my previous broadband package? So I give AOL a call and ask do I go back to the £6.99 contract I had before, they tell me that they themselves had cancelled the contract when I signed up for the new contract and now that I'm cancelling the new contract I effectively have no contract with AOL. Plus, because I'm ending my new contract during my 10 day cooling off period I don't have to pay any form of a cancellation fee what so ever!

There you have it I managed to get out of my 12 month contract 6 months early without having to pay a penny and all totally by accident, not bad really. I know it's a bit of a palaver but it got me out of the contract.

Hope this helps anyone trying to get out of a contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure