The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi

What is the average monthly gas bill for a three-bed semi-detached house?

Our bills are £60 per month and we cannot get the temperature up to 16C in the bedroom during the current cold spell.

Comments

• i would say your bill sounds average,could your cold room be due to poor insulation?
    is your loft well insulated?if not your heat goes through the roof and lined cutains make a difference too.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    The average annual gas consumption is 20,500kWh which is between £600 and £700 for most people.

A CH system that is working correctly (assuming it was a proper installation) should get the bedrooms to more than 16C.

Is the bedroom radiator getting hot all over?

Have you bled the radiator?
  • The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

We are double glazed but my husband tells me that our house is made from non-cavity walls.

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom, so I guess lots of heat escapes through that too.

Is £60 per month really average for a house like ours?
  • sdd7677
    sdd7677 Posts: 128 Forumite
    its averagee...i had average £60 last year but not with first baby this year though !!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Babycakes wrote: »
    The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

We are double glazed but my husband tells me that our house is made from non-cavity walls.

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom, so I guess lots of heat escapes through that too.

Is £60 per month really average for a house like ours?

You might need to get a larger radiator(a double panel perhaps)

Obviously anything you can do to improve insulation will help a great deal.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Babycakes wrote: »
    The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

Does the bedroom radiator get hot quickly? If not, open the lockshield valve a little.

If it was a recent conversion, I assume the room has been insulated, so not too much heat should escape that way.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Just a thought, if you can get some foil wrapped round card behind the raidiators, reflect the heat.

That sounds about rgt, we're 3 bed semi and over the yr, average out at £45 per month, thats combi boiler, gas cooker, no fire (been condemmed) raidatiors in every rm, had loft and cavity wall done, double glazed.

Guess the loft, ours is thick of lining, but as u've had the conversion, may need abit more heating.

Check the radiators,could need bleeding xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • I would say something wrong there you should get over 16c, thats assuming rads are working fine and you have right size for the room size

Solids walls although not as good as insulated cavity walls shouldn't loose that much heat that the room doesn't get sufficiently warm

If you pay £60 a month assuming you arent paying off a lot of debt on gas then thats not much more than what we pay and we have heating all from 4pm until about 11.00pm and most of weekend.

If you havent got loft insulation I would certain get some fitted making sure it complies with the latest insulation standards
  • Weve got a brand new 3 bed semi, my gas bill (GCH, gas hob (used every day), 1 x 'gas shower' a day) for 24 Sep - 13 Dec was £41.52, leccy bill 20 Jun - 23 Sep was £57.

I was paying £30 a month DD for gas but they sent me a notice saying they were lowering it to £20 a month.

Its all about the insulation, and get rid of draughts, wind chill is a terrible thing :(
  • Babycakes wrote: »
    What is the average monthly gas bill for a three-bed semi-detached house?

Our bills are £60 per month and we cannot get the temperature up to 16C in the bedroom during the current cold spell.

I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

I'd be over the moon if I was only paying £60 a month!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure