PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Large Piece of Gammon in the slow cooker?? also beef brisket?

Options
We got a 1.5kg lump of unsmoked gammon this week very very cheap.

We want to do it in our slow cooker but have no idea what to do with it.

Can anyone help us with some plain simple recipes that will feed us all!!!

Could we just do a cassorole out of it?

Also we got a large piece of beef brisket cheap as well any ideas for that?

Thanks very much

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No problem :)

Pick any ideas you like the look of from the threads listed here:-

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • mumofjusttwo
    Options
    when I am doing brisket I tend to put it in as early as poss then put it on high for 1-2 hours depending on size. WEe only spend about £3 then put it on slow for about 7 hours. My DH says it is great with roast pots and veg. I wouldn't know as I am a vegetarian;) The slow you cook it then more tender it is. Apparently
    January Grocery 11/374
  • Mrs7ones
    Mrs7ones Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    I do gammon joints in the slow cooker quite often.
    I stick it in there with a wee drop of water an cook it all day on slow.
    We eat it with fried eggs, home made wedgies and veg.
    Very plain and simple but deeeeeeeeeeeelish!!
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    Usually we cook the gammon with half a cup of water & two tea spoons of brown sugar (Recipe from here). Today OH is cooking it in marmalade, which could be interresting.
  • Maisy_Moo
    Maisy_Moo Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I want to cook a 1.5kg gammon joint for my husband tomorrow in the slow cooker. He doesn't eat any vegetables at all so was wondering if was possible to cook it in a little bit of cider and water. How long would it take and how much liquid should I put in? I have either high or low settings. How long on each please? many thanks for your help.
  • Maisy_Moo
    Options
    Hi, I would like to cook a 1.5kg gammon joint in the slow cooker for my fussy husband tomorrow. :confused: He doesn't eat any vegetables at all and doesn't like any sauces so I was wondering whether it would be possible to slow cook it in a bit of cider and water. If so how much cider/water should I use? I have heat settings of high and low and would also like to know how long and at what heat setting to cook it. Any help would be appreciated.:rotfl:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Maisy_Moo
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that. I have read the slow cooker link completely over the last couple of months and it is what prompted me to buy a slow cooker. I don't eat meat myself and have noticed that the timings seem to really depend on the type of slow cooker you have and the settings. Mine is a 6.5l Delonghi and I was wondering if anyone who had one of these would be able to recommend how long to cook a 1.5kg gammon joint and whether it should be on high or low (as those are my only 2 cooking settings). My fussy meat only eating husband, is used to expensive cuts of meat and I am trying to cut him down and want to prove how delicious cheaper cuts of meat are when cooked well in the slow cooker. I've managed to at last convince him to buy whole chicken (as he only eats the breast meat) as it still works out cheaper to feed the dog and cat on the rest of the bird. Just really looking for a timing for my gammon. Many thanks, Amanda:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure