Can you paint UPVC window frames?

Comments

• sue97
    sue97 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Just wondering if you did this and how it turned out.

Thanks
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sue Op hasn't been back online since 22-08-2009
  • sue97
    sue97 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Thanks savemoney.

Just wondering if anyone has done this successfully and would post photos :)
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Personally I think anything you do will look like a dreadful DIY bodge - plus it won't be reversible. Why not wait until you have the rest of the room decorated and the furniture in before deciding whether or not the current dark colour of the frame matches? By the time the windows are obscured by curtains, blinds and plants you'll probably find they fade into the background.
  • It seems there is a lot of confusion regarding painting PVC. I found an excellent resourse on painting plastic from Thai Plastic wood after a friend of mine made an excellent job of painting a garden office that was clad in PVC.
    Sorry I had to remove the link as I am a new user but you can probably find the page if you visit thai plastic wood and then visit their guides page.
    I hope this helps to clarify your options.;)
  • kinda81
    kinda81 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi everyone.
    I live in Toronto, Canada. I had the same problem (faded ivory windows). To change them- cost me a lot... I did a research and I found Aqua surtech. I ask them for an estimate (for my 21 windows in total) and after 1 month of waiting finally i got "magic" price - 3125$ plus tax. I was desperate but after another month of searching I found a company DM Neo paints.
    I called them to get an estimate. In 2 days I already got an estimate on e-mail and surprise was that for the same 21 windows they ask 1650$ plus tax. In 2 weeks I got all my windows painted. It was over my expectation (they look brand new) and they are using the same paint as Aqua surtech.
    So, it was unforgettable experience and I am very happy that I did this.
    Good luck to everyone.
  • Painting pvc is relatively easy to do. Colour needs to be sprayed and can be purchased in aerosol format also. Frame first needs to be cleaned using a specific solvent wipe which also acts as an adhesion promoter.
    Two wipes are available: one for new pvc ( directly after protective film removal ) the other for " old pvc" Product has good UV resistance and can be used in exterior environments.
    Material has a high solvent content and is intended for use by professional painters in well vented areas. Drying is very fast and frames are handleable in about 30 minutes
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    auldaw wrote: »
    Painting pvc is relatively easy to do. Colour needs to be sprayed and can be purchased in aerosol format also. Frame first needs to be cleaned using a specific solvent wipe which also acts as an adhesion promoter.
    Two wipes are available: one for new pvc ( directly after protective film removal ) the other for " old pvc" Product has good UV resistance and can be used in exterior environments.
    Material has a high solvent content and is intended for use by professional painters in well vented areas. Drying is very fast and frames are handleable in about 30 minutes

And what is the purpose of digging up a three year old post?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    phill99 wrote: »
    And what is the purpose of digging up a three year old post?
    Post reads a bit spammy to me although it manages not to mention the product concerned does read like a copy / paste exercise. What I can't fathom, though is why on earth you would want to faff about spending eons masking most of the building up to spray paint when there are perfectly good UPVC paints about you can apply with a brush. C'est la vie.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    Post reads a bit spammy to me although it manages not to mention the product concerned does read like a copy / paste exercise.

I agree with that. He's probably waiting for someone to ask what products to recommend.

I wish the mods could set up a system so that new posters couldn't comment on a post that was more than say 3 months old. Would save a lot of this garbage!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure