Help paid deposit on car but dont want to proceed

Hi, went into a local used car dealer at the weekend and saw a car I liked, to be honest they told me that if I didnt leave a deposit then they would sell the car to someone else that they had interested in it and foolishly I fell for it and paid them £1000 by credit card. I didnt sign anything.
I have changed my mind and wondered if I had any rights to the deposit back or have I just lost that??

Many thanks.

Comments

• No mate.

I think that's the point of a deposit, you see?

You're well f*cked :(
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If its a non refundable deposit no you don't.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why would you leave a deposit without signing anything? And no you don't have a chance.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Plenty of cases where holding onto a deposit in situations where it would penalise the buyer is unfair. Can car be readily resold? How much was it for?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If they didn't get you to sign something (to say that you agree to pay the balance in X days etc...), then you could try and use this to your advantage i.e. if they then go ahead and sell the car to someone else, they have to give you back the £1000.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What happened to "My word is my bond"?

Then we wouldn't need deposits. If you have agreed to buy something then you should go back and complete the purchase. If you wern't sure then you should have said I will sleep on it.

But folk want it all ways.

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE THEN DON'T LEAVE A DEPOSIT

(sorry just a rant :o)
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pvsol wrote: »
    Hi, went into a local used car dealer at the weekend and saw a car I liked, to be honest they told me that if I didnt leave a deposit then they would sell the car to someone else that they had interested in it and foolishly I fell for it and paid them £1000 by credit card. I didnt sign anything.
    I have changed my mind and wondered if I had any rights to the deposit back or have I just lost that??

Many thanks.

fell for it? for all you know they may have had someone else,apart from that the garage are well within their rights to keep the deposit,wether you signed anything does not matter,
    deposits are taken to try to stop people changing their mind:mad:
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The only thing you can do is to ask them nicely, but if they say "no" then you either proceed with the purchase (and either use or sell the car) or you kiss goodbye to £1,000.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    The law around deposits is that they cannot legally be non refundable.
    The garage can withhold it to cover their damages though due to your breach of contract.

In order to do this they would have to quantify their losses.

They have to mitigate their losses however if they can no longer sell the car at the same value they can dock your deposit by this amount along with reasonable admin costs for relisting etc

Morally you took the !!!! and have caused a great deal of hassle and wasted time, resources and potentially lost them sales.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Once again Anihilator chimes in with the definitive legal position. Thanks!
    Je suis Charlie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport