Fast Cheque Clearance

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a cheque cleared in less than 4 working days at the bank.

I have to pay one in soon from Customs and Excise and would like to draw against it before the 4 days expire.

Thanks.

Kevster
MBNA are a joke.

DFW Nerd No. 232

Comments

• aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    you used to be able to "pay" a small amount, to get your check cleared quicker, check with your bank.
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    I think the above refers to 'special presentation' or finding out the 'fate of the cheque' - it costs about a tenner, but only tells you whether or not the cheque WILL clear, it doesn't make it any quicker. Some banks may let you draw against the cheque before it clears though (Barclays I think? - not sure) although the risk is then that it would bounce once you had spent it.
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • lesley1960
    lesley1960 Posts: 976 Forumite
    I pad in a cheque from the Inland revenue ( when they were known as that ) and was told by the bank that cheques from them cleared the same day .
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Yes, 3 working days, with the funds becoming available to draw against on day 4 (even if day 4 is a Saturday).
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • Warriorsith
    Warriorsith Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    WhenI pay a cheque for a bill, it's 3 days. When I have a cheque sent to me it takes up to 10 days to clear!!! (Halifax). If you want it clearing faster I think its a £25 charge!!!

Bl**dy Cheek!
    "I AM THE GATEKEEPER OF MY OWN DESTINY" Nacho Libre

'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :DDFW Member No.495
  • misspoppy
    misspoppy Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i think it all depends on wether you pay it into a proper bank or a former building society. 3 working days at a proper bank is usual.
  • Storm
    Storm Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I used to work in a solicitors accounts department, and we paid £10 for 'special clearance' on a personal cheque where we knew it wouldn't bounce the following day. However, we also used to pay in cheques as 'cleared funds' - these were ones that were guaranteed not to bounce such as drafts from banks/BS, other solicitors (cos of the regulations) etc.

I would speak to your bank because a cheque from customs & excise to my view is 'cleared funds' because it's not going to bounce - but probably depends which bank you're with...
    Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): £6240.06 :eek:
    O/D 1 [strike]£1250 [/strike]O/D 2 [strike]£100[/strike] Next a/c [strike]£313.55[/strike]@ 26.49% Mum [strike]£130[/strike] HSBC [strike]£4446.51[/strike]@15.75%[STRIKE]M&S £580.15@ 4.9%[/STRIKE]
    Total Debt 30th April 2008: £0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO [STRIKE]BE DEALING [/STRIKE] HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT ;)
  • kevster1009
    kevster1009 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Thanks folks, my bank is Nat West. Hopefully I can pay it in next week as it hasnt come yet.

Anyone from the banks got any views?
    MBNA are a joke.

DFW Nerd No. 232
  • rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    There are only a few "clearing banks" most building socities that went over to banks are not "clearing banks" so with them cheques take longer to clear.

I think Barclays, Lloyds and Natwest are clearing banks to name a couple.
  • sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    which bank is the chque from - i am with the natwest and I find them quite good at clearing cheques. Maybe if you explain to them and point out that it is a Customs and Excise cheque and hardly likely to bounce they may be sympathetic.
    Quality is doing something right when no one is looking - Henry Ford
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport