PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• Also, someone mentioned selling via Facebook, how does that work please. I have used ebay but would like a local outlet for stuff that would be tricky to post.
    Their=belonging to them, There=over there
    Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
    The Grammar Fairy
  • Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    something I found on Pinterest which may be of interest to some of you is a decluttering calendar, see http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2011.htm it's for 2011 rather than 2012 but the principle is the same.

brilliant find, thank you!:T Love that you're given a full two months to first declutter then organize each room!
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    MessyMare wrote: »
    I just looked at that :eek: I don't think there's enough hours in the day for all the things I have to do each day, but it'd be lovely to be able to do those too!

I had similar feelings. also, I hate being told 'do X on day Y' because when something crops up and throws the schedule I know I'll feel bad for falling off the wagon.

Others like being told exactly what to do. Horses for courses I guess.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had similar feelings. also, I hate being told 'do X on day Y' because when something crops up and throws the schedule I know I'll feel bad for falling off the wagon.

Others like being told exactly what to do. Horses for courses I guess.

oh goodness, I wouldn't follow it to the letter, but it's got some great little ideas! I'd just look through the whole year and pick a day that had something I fancied doing (Saturdays and Sundays look good:D)
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm joining this too, you all inspired me to make a start this morning, now hubbys shoe cupboard is tidy and mud free (i made him do it lol, been talking about it for yrs!), mine is also, and the area in the hall by the phone, though th e rest of the hall is dire! Have also made a small start in the very full up loft, need some work done up there but no one can get up there properly at the mo! So got lots of boxes and a bag of stuff for charity shop. Sadly went to put my fave white xmas tree we have that changes colour and dropped it down the stairs and now totally broken :( but at least that is another thing out of the house i guess! Will try and do a bit more in the hall tomorrow, ust got some nice storage baskets from argos and a leather box to keep in the porch tidily with all our hats, scarfs etc in so we won't keep losing them! :)
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    have been through one drawer in the filing cabinet where all the important paperwork lives. Everything is organised, it all fits neatly and I have a BIG pile of old paperwork to shred. Baby steps, but they're in the right direction
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Can I join in too please. I read a really good book called "No more clutter" by Sue Kay. It talks about clutter not just taking up physical space but also emotional space. Although something may be out of sight in the loft, you are aware it needs to be sorted so it is sapping your mental energy. To the ladies who are unable to wear high heels / jewellery it could be argued that by keeping them you are constantly reminding yourselves of the past, what you have lost etc which is not helping your postive energy etc etc etc.
    I hope this year is the year to really start moving clutter out. I always think "what if" and get attached to things but with two small boys we are running out of space.

I totally agree! But I also think I suuround myself with stuff as an emotional barrier to the pain I feel. I know when I feel better, the tidier I am. Unfortunately knowing this, doesn't help.

And why does stuff breed??? I can get rid of masses of things, and somehow, there's stuff that takes its place.
  • Kimsmum
    Kimsmum Posts: 221 Forumite
    Well I have made a start, all paperwork in the spare room has been shredded or put in a folder .

Another five things listed on ebay, I thought if I do five each day until I get rid of everything that needs to go.:)
    Taking it one day at a time
  • jenster
    jenster Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    im gonna join you too if thats ok

made a good start during this week whilst OH was at home with some paperwork - u know the letters that u open then file on the the mantlepiece / dining room table that's got to be a top prioty this year, and all those magazines mainly cookery ones in my case that i buy skim through don't really read but keep cos i say i will LOL
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Woohoo! I'm on fire today!

Achievements (whilst my beloved has been dying on the sofa with flu, real stuff, not man flu.....or maybe it's man flu but because he has MS, he can lay it on thicker and I'll look after him more, hmmmmm!)

1. Decluttered toiletries and have a box with sachets/half empty bottles to use up before we move
    2. Decluttered kitchen mantelpiece and got rid of yukky jewellery and odd keys that don't fit any of our doors or windows!
    3. Decluttered DD's pencils and crayon box and have a load to take to my Rainbows group as we always seem to need new stuff
    4. Went up into the loft.......and rediscovered:
    (a) loads of bubble wrap from when I moved in 8 years ago
    (b) a wooden butcher's block table type thing that will come in very handy at the new house's kitchen, as it only has one tiny worksurface in the whole room!!
    (c) an ugly yet functional unit* I can put the TV/dvd player on at the new place
    (d) a medium sized ugly yet functional plastic shelving unit* that I'm sure will come in handy somewhere
    (e) 3 big plastic removals crates acquired from an office
    (f) 3 suitcases I forgot I had and which will probably go to the charity shop after the move as DD and I tend to pack reasonably lightly these days, but they'll come in very handy for our mountains of clothes

* In my defence items (c) and (d) belonged to the dreaded ex husband and were not bought by me, but seeing as he beggared off way over 6 years ago, I think I can safely say he doesn't want them and as I have the grand sum of £221.72 in the bank after bills have been paid to keep us fed, watered and petrol in the car for the next month, I'm certainly not complaining, as they are virtual savings :)

I took a bootload of clothes and books to the charity place and have my old toaster/kettle in the car ready to take to the tip.

Just want to get the rest of the legal stuff sorted out so we can get a move date in the calendar, as I'm starting to feel emotionally ready to move out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure