Pimms v Aldi/lidl versions

JC_Derby
JC_Derby Posts: 806
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 28 June 2011 at 11:43AM in Food shopping & groceries
Or any other version.

Which do you prefer...is there a great deal of difference..

also southern comfort v any other brands (similar)

sorry if this has ben posted before.... is there an alcohol comparison thread?

Comments

• sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mmmmmm nice all round. Personally cant tell the difference.
  • I love a glass or 2 of pimms in the summer and stumbled across austins "aldis" version and i can honestly not taste the difference, only maybe this tastes a little better due to the money ive saved lol x
    Want to be debt free by Jan 2014 after letting things sprial out of control :o

CREDIT CARDS £1250. CATALOGUES £6300. LOANS £230. OVERDRAFT £400.
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2011 at 11:44AM
    thanks guys....good stuff

I have previously tried a irish cream product from one of these shops....was very very sweet. much more than the baileys.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2011 at 5:11PM
    JC_Derby wrote: »
    Or any other version.

Which do you prefer...is there a great deal of difference..

also southern comfort v any other brands (similar)

sorry if this has ben posted before.... is there an alcohol comparison thread?

re pimms yes aldi do they're own called austins and sainsburys do they're own albeit slightly more expensive than aldi(both are quite nice but aldi wins it for me based on the price), im sure ive seen a lidl version.

re SoCo ive not come across an equivalent yet, i have tried i think southern bell frm aldi and from what i remember it wasnt as nice,

re th bailys equivalent i think its lidl which is a good alternative

im still on the hunt for an alternative to soco as the price its getting ridiculous
  • lilbert
    lilbert Posts: 641 Forumite
    Ive started making my own bailys for less than £5 per bottle. You tailor it to your tastes. I have got a Pimms recipe to but i just got some proper stuff as it was on offer, just as cheap. If your interested ill dig the recipes out.

Re: Aldi's alcohol, My husband swears by the amaretto there, £5 per bottle. And we had a bottle of the highland black a couple of weeks ago, 12yr old malt. That was gorgeous!! For £12 per bottle. We liked it better than any other blended whiskey weve tried yet.
  • k4kate
    k4kate Posts: 126 Forumite
    We've found Aldi's Pimms alternative to be good but hubby really doesn't like their version of Southern Comfort (Southern Belle I think it's called). He found it far too strong on the vanilla/caramel front.
  • I agree, Aldi's version of Pimms is delicious and I can't taste the difference. It's currently £5.45. Watch out for September offers, as last year I managed to buy 8 bottles for £3.45 each. That will last me until the next reductions :D

The white and rose version of Baron wine is perfectly drinkable at £2.99 per bottle. I haven't tried the red. The chardonnay and the Italian white in the £2.99 range tasted yuk to me, but might suit others.

The pear cider "Orchard" summat or other is delicious and the Taurus pear cider in cans (they do apple cider as well) is drinkable as long as it's really cold (I tend to use it for cooking).
    Call me what you like, I was a bit "tiddly" when I chose my username :beer:

April GC: £64.27/£100
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've served the aldi version of pimms to friends before and they haven't noticed that it wasn't pimms so I'd definitely recommend it. When mixed with lemonade I doubt most people can tell the difference.
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    i got the lidl version of pimms which is called jeeves and it was lovely
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • MSE Charlotte has linked to this thread from her Pimm's V Jeeves Deals Hunter blog so here's a mini bump to keep the thread open and encourage a very difficult debate on the merits of Pimm's v Austin's :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories