PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing cooked turkey?

Comments

• Just a quick question.
    I have cooked my turkey crown and have half the breast left. I don't want to make a curry or mince with it.

Can I slice it and freeze the meat? and how would I defrost and heat it again/use?

Its my DH how eats turkey, I'm a veggie and I am not wasting the meat as DH is pickie and will not eat sandwhichs after boxing day!

many thanks
    jinny
  • jabba4
    jabba4 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Yes you can freeze it.

Slice it up and put it into a freezable container with some gravy. If you don't put it in gravy when it defrosts it'll be really dry and crumbly.

Make sure it's fully defrosted before you re-heat it.

My Dad does this all the time with any leftover meats. He uses those little Chinese take-away style containers.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I freeze it in curry sized portions. I defrost then bung in a curry (it does separate abit when re-heating so i put in any leftover cooked veg also from the freezer, but its better than wasting it.
  • I froze mine last night (after asking the question on here too:D )

Mine was from M&S and it said on everything I had that I couldn't reheat. So, I had to separate all the veg (I know, I know, am lazy) into two lots before using.

My turkey said don't reheat so we'll be having it cold when we defrost. My Goodnes though, I had two great dinners these past few nights. How will I ever go back to pasta.
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • I tend to slice mine up and then grade it according to size of bits i.e. proper meal slices, curry or pie pieces, soup bits.
    I usually reheat the slices in gravy the oven once it's thawed out fully.
    Always ensure it's thoroughly reheated.
    :wave:
  • That's the question - could I slice up and freeze my left over turkey? If so, would I be risking food poisoning if I defrosted it and re-heated it?

Thanks!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    You can but it's probably better to make stuff like curry with it rather than just eat it sliced, however the main thing is to ensure it's properly defrosted and heated through.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • You certainly can, and it is fine to eat it simply defrosted without reheating.

The only thing you shouldn't do is defrost it and refreeze it.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Minerva,

This question came up earlier today so I've added your thread to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to be sure as I don't want to kill myself or anyone else. I'm sure I'm sure by the way but want to check, this is what I intend to do.

Turkey was defrosted and cooked on xmas day - so far so good :D

We still have loads left so to suit us I shall portion it into meal sizes for us and pour gravy over.

Wait for it to cool.

Pop in freezer.

When we want it, defrost and heat in oven, it will be volcanic hot :D

I know the rule of thumb in that its been defrosted and cooked once.

Now the cooked meat will only be frozen once and reheated once?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure