Argos: exempt from 30 day money back guarantee

Has anyone any idea why Guitar Hero 3 is exempt from Argos' 30 day money back guarantee? I've just bought this and an ipod shuffle and was told that both are exempt. I found this on their website to do with the shuffle:

" To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras. "

ok but why guitar hero?

What if these were xmas presents and the recipient wanted to return for refund/credit note/exchange? They just couldn't?
"a workman, even of the lowest and poorest order, if he is frugal and industrious, may enjoy a greater share of the necessaries and conveniences of life than it is possible for any savage to acquire."

Comments

• All computer games are exempt. Also when I bought Wii fit and wii remote & nunchuck, these were also exempt. Don't know why though.
  • seems a bit rough since a lot of these things - comp games, game accessories, mp3 players, digi cams etc will be presents for a lot of people
    "a workman, even of the lowest and poorest order, if he is frugal and industrious, may enjoy a greater share of the necessaries and conveniences of life than it is possible for any savage to acquire."
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    seems a bit rough since a lot of these things - comp games, game accessories, mp3 players, digi cams etc will be presents for a lot of people

It's the law.

With computer games and software it's to stop copying.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • what about wiimote's and nunchucks olly?
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    olly300 wrote: »
    It's the law.

Is it? I thought it was just software companies being tw*ts. "By breaking the seal you agree to the terms and conditions", but these are inside so you can't see them unless you break the seal.
    With computer games and software it's to stop copying.

That would only stop an individual who wanted to buy the software to copy for themselves. If they wanted to sell copies it wouldn't stop them!
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I dont think its law not too offer refunds on computer games etc but more to do with someone either playing it and completing it and taking it back or copying it and taking it back.
    Years ago argos excluded video cameras as loads of peeps would take them on their holiday then take them back.

As for ipods etc well after all the stories in papers about people buying hard discs full of !!!!!! etc shops wont refund on ANYTHING with memory unless its faulty and is sent back to manufacturer.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As Argos don't have to offer anything on non-faulty goods, what's the problem ?
  • no one said they had to moon, I'm just asking some questions
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ianian99 wrote: »
    I dont think its law not too offer refunds on computer games etc but more to do with someone either playing it and completing it and taking it back or copying it and taking it back.
    All software suppliers have it on their discs as part of their contract with the buyer (Contract Law) and the Office of Fair Trading hasn't stated it's unfair.
    ianian99 wrote: »
    I
    Years ago argos excluded video cameras as loads of peeps would take them on their holiday then take them back.

As for ipods etc well after all the stories in papers about people buying hard discs full of !!!!!! etc shops wont refund on ANYTHING with memory unless its faulty and is sent back to manufacturer.

Ipods and MP3 players come with ear or head phones. Do you really want to put something in your ears that someone else has?
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ipods and MP3 players come with ear or head phones. Do you really want to put something in your ears that someone else has?

But those items were excluded because they have memory in them nothing to do with earphones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure