PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Crinkly yarn - you can wrap it over a clothes horse as you unwind it and then put it in the bathroom and let the steam do the work (a radiator clothes dryer would work).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    Tootsie, Can you post a recipe for Bara brith please? My Grandmother used to meake this and I can't find a recipe. Thanks
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Cathy-w and Queenie. I had always wondered...but never got the chance to ask before (well, it's not a common conversation is it?!). I'll definitely start having a look, and it'll be particularly handy for recycling old jumpers that have seen better days.

Btw Cathy-w, loved the things on your site - almost inspires me to battle against my ten-thumbedness a bit more!
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • I just had a look at your bags too cathy-w, lovely designs, well done you.

I hope you can find a means of selling them. :D
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    cathy all of your work is lovely!!
    I like the idea of using your old Tshirts as cushions,Ive got a couple I might do that with.

About crinkly recycled wool...If you can find an old wire coathanger,you can bend it into a rectangle,then wind the crinkly wool around it and steam it over the kettle.It will dry straight. I know Queenie has already suggested steaming it but its another way if you havent got a clothes horse.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you have a metal colander put it on top of a pan of simmering water then thread the wool across from one hole to another so that it goes through the steam. Then just wind it into balls as you pull it through
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • cath-w
    cath-w Posts: 132 Forumite
    Thanks for the comments on my stuff guys. Hoping to move house soon so that I can have the space to work. I currently have to use a small table in the kitchen as we live in a tiny, flat and all my supplies are in a big heap of cardboard boxes.

C.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cath W, Could I be first in line when you give the denim aprons out -cool:)

I wouldn't call it craft but I have made things for the house to save a bit of money. Had a sewing machine and no idea how to use it but guessed it couldn't be any harder than driving a car so decided to 'break myself in' gently by making removable covers for my 3 piece suite which the cats had savaged. They turned out OK and we kept the suite for a further 5 yrs. After that there was no holding back - I was on a stitching frenzy. Roman Blinds went up in the kitchen. Roller sun screens appeared in the conservatory and Patchword comforters were thrown across beds. The three children suddenly found themselves owners of three very nice, plush, appliqued santa sacks (which if not passed from generation to generation as sacred heirlooms I shall be mortally wounded). The ironing board was recovered as was the dining room chairs (in the same fabric - matchy, matchy) LOL - Taking a rest now (cos I've broke all my needles heheheh)
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    cathy,

your stuff is excellent. I really love your sewing/knitting basket. It truly is beautiful.

And of course, I now want a denim apron as well!

thansk for the inspiration guys.I am not very crafty - yet, but I make cards and can sew well enough to make a cushion or mend something.

My mum is the crafty member of the family. She has just made me a kingsize patchwork quilt, which is amazing. All triangles and diamond patterns in green and cream.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • You talented lot! How does one learn all these skills? I wouldn't know where to start . . . I'd really love to be able to sew my own stuff though.

I bought this new skirt, which is really lovely, but it has a hole on one of the seams at the back (right on my bum - just won't do!). I've tried stiching it up but the strands of wool it's made from are really thick and too short, so it always comes apart again. I was thinking of sewing something over - a velvet patch or similar - any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure