CAT FLEAS - merged

Comments

• I have three cats, and we've had a flea problem twice.

Both times were at the end of the Summer, Aug/sept times. And I have to say the only thing that got rid of them was having the council pest man in to spray everything. :( The pest man said that was the fleas best time for movement because they're trying to find somewhere warm and inside to spend the winter.

The first time, I must have spent about £50, first on supermarket stuff, then on vet stuff, trying to get rid of them. Eventually, we called the council in, and for another £40 odd he got rid of them.
    The second time, we just went straight to the council pest dept.

Its a bit of a pain though because you can't vacuum anywhere for two weeks after its been sprayed.... ::) Oh dear, what a shame!!!!

Since the last time though, we've been putting tea tree oil on the back of their necks and it all seems to be ok at the moment...
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    didn't council could spray. will bear that in mind.
  • shanni
    shanni Posts: 353 Forumite
    I always buy the vet treatment (frontline) for my 2 cats. It's just not worth risking having your home infested, which ultimately costs a lot to fumigate in the long run. Besides, it isn't very nice for the cats to have fleas, it causes them not only to scratch but also to have infected sores.

For £1 week each, I think it's well worth getting the right stuff and it is being kind to your cats. We would spend it on ourselves to keep fleas at bay. You need to worm them every 3 months too, as fleas and worms go hand in hand.

There was a website here recently that sold the frontline stuff cheaper. Might be just a couple of pages back.
    Shanni
  • Fairy22
    Fairy22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Pleeeassse can someone give me some advice, don't all say urghhh, but ... I've just notice a little black jumpy flea on my carpet tonight, I've got a cat and I de-flea fit regularly, but we've got fields out the back and he always Tom's off for days at a time, so he could end up anywhere.
    Does anyone know what to do ?, do I need to get someone out to treat my carpets or something ?. I'm really worried as my little boy's only 2, and he's always on his hands and knees.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, Thankyou All !
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    i would get the hoover out for now suck them up
  • Fairy22
    Have done, but still feel abit itchy scratchy, thinking about them, my cat is so going to get it if he ever comes home, maybe he's keeping away, thinking he'll get attacked with the flea spray again !
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dont panic......what i used to do....is first of all get some flea treatment from the vet..... the type you put on the back of the neck.... its expensive, but it works quickly to kill the fleas on the cat......then you can buy a product called rug patrol.... that you shake on your carpet... and leave for a while then hoover it all up..... empty the hoover straight away..... then .. what i used to do is put a flea collar in the hoover.bag... as this will kill fleas/eggs that have been hoovered up ....if you havent got a collar in the bag.... anything.. that gets hoovered up will still live as they are so small...and come back out of the hoover......once you empty the hoover bag or empty the cylinder....just fish out the collar and put it back into the hoover....

i know its not old style but i know it works.....every summer when we had the cat... i used to put a flea collar in the hoover..as as a precaution.....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Fairy22
    Thanks Cooltrikerchick, I'll give this a shot tomorrow xxx
  • giggs11
    giggs11 Posts: 163 Forumite
    there's a thread in the other forum about cat fleas if it helps :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=2477866&posted=1#post2477866
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Some councils if you are on benefits will come out and spray your home for you free.It depends how badly they are infested.Sounds like you got it in nick of time.They are horrid things,but I love my cats and wouldnt do without them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure