Gas central heating on constant or timer?

Comments

• space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    When I lived in an older property, ie 1930`s semi I used to leave my heating on all the time and used the room temperature thermostat to keep the temperature to around 18 when I wasn`t at home. I would then put it up to around 24 when I got home. Now I am in house that is only 2 years old I use the timer and have it come on an hour before I need it. As it`s a new boiler I don`t see the need to keep it on.

Regarding the immersion heater. That is more expensive to leave on. I used to advise customers on their electric use and I have never yet had a customer ring to say they did not see a reduction in their electric once they stopped having it on all the time.
  • Conor wrote: »
    Working for an energy company is no indicator of expertise to back up your statement.

In fact it could be inferred that they've misinformed you so you to tell customers this as they've a vested interest in a customer increasing their consumption.

No but it does mean I speak with many many more customers that someone who doesn't.

Yes I'm sure they energy company have lied to me, I guess the same goes for my friend who is a heating engineer.

You don't have to believe me. Sticking your heating on constantly and in three months the bill will speak for itself.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I have, the bills are the same as last year but it's not freezing cold when I get home.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have no difficulty with anyone stating what they believe - lots of people believed the earth was flat - and doubtless some still do!!

I really have difficulty with people who try to use the laws of physics to support their false arguments.

To imply that restaurants leave their boilers and ovens on all the time for reasons of economy is absurd - it is purely for convienience!

I sometimes think that people post such nonsense purely to be mischievious!
  • X1GVC
    X1GVC Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have read the posts on this topic with some interest as a question that is often discussed with varying thoughts and ideas. The reference to physics is particularly interesting. The answer is of course to use timers.

The transfer of heat from our homes is a function of the driving force between the two bodies. To keep it simple let's say for arguments say that during the colder months the ambient outdoor temperature is a 6C. For the purpose of a house we can assume everything to be at uniform temperature as would be the case at steady state. The driving force for temperature change is the difference between the two bodies. The higher the difference the higher the rate of transfer.

Based on this a home at a constant 18C loses more energy to a 6C surrounding (outdoor temperature) than a home that is say 18C for 2hrs on the morining and perhaps 4hrs on an evening. During the times between the temperature of the home is either reducing or increasing based on the timer settings. At these times the loss of heat from the home is less than would be the case for a home at constant high temperature, therefore you save money on your fuel bill.

If you really want to save money then spend your efforts on reducing heat loss from your home as this directly reduces heat loss (waste) from your home.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    X1GVC wrote: »
    I have read the posts on this topic with some interest as a question that is often discussed with varying thoughts and ideas. The reference to physics is particularly interesting. The answer is of course to use timers.

Welcome to the forum - nice post.

However it is absolutely no use using any form of logic, or quoting the laws of thermodynamics to many people.

All that there theory is rubbish; they know a man down the pub who has proved that you are wrong by practical example!
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our timer broke a few years ago and we had to adjust the thermostat manually all the time. We did notice that sometimes we hadn't changed it from 18c for many days. It did make us realise that we actually didn't need as much heat as we thought and saved a real packet over 2 years!
    When our boiler was replaced they fitted a new thermostat as a freebie and it's set a lot lower than we had it before. Our house is well insulated, and all rooms have thermo controls on the rads.
  • Stardelta
    Stardelta Posts: 16 Forumite
    In the depths of winter why not read your gas meter on say a Sunday and for the next week leave your central heating on all the time. The Sunday after read it again and for the next week use as required, the unit's used should tell you. A women at the then NEGAS showroom said that to me in 1984 I replied trouble is I have to have central heating installed to try it. Were I could work out the cost of running storage heaters and still have them.
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    If I can add my 2p worth..

I work for a large company looking after building HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning) controls. So I feel I am well placed to back up cardew and X1GVC (among others) with their advice - TIMER TIMER TIMER!!!!!!

If it didn't save money to optimise the times that a building is heated (and not), I wouldn't have a job!

One method used is called set-back where the setpoint is reduced (during un-occupied times) to a value that means the building won't be calling for any heat - this has the same effect on energy usage as turning off the heating in your home. (On big buildings we don't have local gas boilers, heat energy is supplied to the building as High Pressure Hot Water or steam from a central boilerhouse)

It can't really be stated any clearer than this...

IT IS NOT CHEAPER TO RUN YOUR HEATING 24/7 INSTEAD OF AS NEEDED.

If you want the science to back this up, read X1GVC's post above!

HTH

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    but you'll find that in high use situations (restaurants for example), the boiler and the ovens are left running constantly.

Having just upgraded the controls for the restaurant at work, I can assure you that the boiler (and ovens, but I don't control them so won't discuss them just yet) aren't left running constantly!

The hot water system comes on at about 5am to be ready for use at 7, it shuts off again at about 5 or 6pm.

As for the ovens, they may well be on from the time the first person comes in in the morning until close to when the place closes at night but that is because they are been used to cook things. believe me, they are turned off when they are not needed!
    :rotfl:
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure