We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Comments

• rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    CTC, Dai looks as happy as a pig in .....:o

Sad to say that my Y-fronts only got to 2 bottles of merlot. Guess your pvc knickers will do rather better :D

Ah well, DW feeling better and out today, think she behaved as she was missing her morning coffee and cake :)
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Aww, da piggies look lovely.

I so admire you CTC - you have really taken such a leap and embraced this new life.

I have to remind myself that our situation is different and to try anything too full on with our young kids and our business commitments miles away would be ill advised, but I'd love to be able to see some livestock on the land, doing its thang. And providing free poo.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Rummer wrote: »
    After spending time in the garden I have changed some of my plans around, again :o. It frustrates me being so indecisive as I normally know exactly what I want to do but when it comes to the garden I keep changing my mind. There are just so many decisions to make and I don't want to invest a lot of time money and effort and get it wrong.

It really is getting to crunch time now as we have been here for 5 years and the garden was meant to be laid out the way we wanted by now.

IMO the most succesful five year plans start with 99 percent of the time planning and clearing.

I might have done things differently if only I had a little patience!!
  • rozeepozee
    I'm sort of realising that creating your dreams is like yoga. You can't rush into it, or you might sprain something.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think my problem is I constantly feel as if I just don't know enough especially about the more challenging parts of my garden. I think I am just going to have to take a leap of faith and get on with it. The back garden will be fine it is the side bit that is perplexing.

In my mind I see it as an allotment and I need to design it as such and just get working. If I make a mistake I will just have to learn from it.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2012 at 6:55AM
    Hi, I'd like to join this thread. My husband and I dream of owning our own farm one day and running it as a business as well as being more self sufficient. We're planning to start by renting a smallholding in July next year when our current tenancy expires.
  • Hi, I'd like to join this thread. My husband and I dream of owning our own farm one day and running it as a business as well as being more self sufficient. We're planning to start by renting a smallholding in July next year when our current tenancy expires.

I think that's a good way to start, get a toe in the water. You may find everything goes ok, or you may find you can't get on with it at all. Do you want to keep livestock? Any experience? Chickens are the easiest things to start with.

The very best of luck to you Sarah! :beer: This is a wonderful thread, I think everyone has some experience in something relevant so have a good read and ask lots of questions.
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • Hi Purple S.:beer: have you found a smallholding coming up for rent? as I know around here they are like gold dust, that was one of the options we were looking at too, and the one I did manage to find was such a high amount:eek::eek::eek:, by the time you worked every hour under the sun to pay the rent rates etc, there would be no time left to look after animals or do some gardening...( let alone have any energy left).

We finally managed to buy our daydream place in march...on times ( well on alot of times) I have thought what the F'k have We done... as since then this year, things have not gone our way, etc... BUT then I think of all the years I have been on my !!! skint, crying myself to sleep, thinking I will never have my own farm/smallholding etc, and I just knuckled down and done baby steps to try and pay off debt and save....

so looking back the poo year this year, is not in the same leaque ....

If you dont manage to get a place next summer... keep going,,, dont get disheartened... there IS a perfect place out there with your name on it..... even if you have to save and buy it... but your farm is out there...

Alfie....Rhiwie....yep hubby is like a pig in poo, when it comes to the pigs...If we could we would be with the piggies all day.

ITSME.... long long ago did you have pigs? how many? for how long? what did you used to do with yours?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi, I'd like to join this thread. My husband and I dream of owning our own farm one day and running it as a business as well as being more self sufficient. We're planning to start by renting a smallholding in July next year when our current tenancy expires.

Hello Sarah, always good to have new people here, as everyone has a different take on things and therefore something to contribute. :)

If it's possible, renting would be a good first move, as unless you already have a very clear direction, there will be lessons best learned before committing huge amounts of hard cash.

I'm not sure how many of us who have holdings, knowing what we know now, would have purchased the same one. Even in the last few years, things like the ability to generate electricity, or stay clear of flooding, have altered the balance in favour of some and away from others.

I always wanted a place close to water.....:o:eek::o
  • rozeepozee
    Hello and welcome! It would have been ideal for us to do what you are considering, though there didn't seem to be the right property in the location we wanted. You may find you have to compromise somewhat on your wish list, even more that you have to compromise on what you'd want to buy, but compromise isn't a bad thing necessarily.

We almost rented a property near the village where we were considering buying but it was on the busy coastal road which would have had to have been crossed frequently every day by car and possibly on foot. We decided against it as we have three very young children. As the owner was finding it difficult to rent, he then added the 12 acres at the back of the property which he also owned and it was snapped up! It's let to a local family who also have small children who will be in school with mine and the lady has a load of poultry and sells eggs from the farm gate, so being on the main road has been great for her, although she acknowledges that they have had to make the front fortresslike to ensure the kids are safe. All for about £700 per month. It's certainly a cheap way of doing it, because you wouldn't be able to buy a similar property for that amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure