PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You can usually pick up those plastic sheets (normally silver) at places like Wilkinson. You could use an old towel or sheet as long as it fits across the windowscreen and can be shut into/tucked into each door to secure.

Word of warning here this is what i did sun eve as was icey all day although car was clear as i went out.
    So covered it up tucked it in the door, overnight it hammered it down the sheet soaked all the rain up and the bits that were tucked in the car door dripped all over my seat it was soaked :mad::mad: wont be doing it again its only just dried out been sitting on bin liner and towel!
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quasar wrote: »
    Just found that some of my floorboards have gaps in them letting cold draught in. Any idea how I can seal them properly and cheaply? :o

Rolled up damp newspaper shoved between the gaps - push it in with a knife or something...

For a longer term fix, mix up papier mache with brown ink/dye to roughly match the colour of the boards?
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Quasar wrote: »
    Just found that some of my floorboards have gaps in them letting cold draught in. Any idea how I can seal them properly and cheaply? :o

Sawdust, dampen it down and then add PVA glue. It will resemble tuna:) Squsih it down into the gaps.
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bubbs wrote: »
    Word of warning here this is what i did sun eve as was icey all day although car was clear as i went out.
    So covered it up tucked it in the door, overnight it hammered it down the sheet soaked all the rain up and the bits that were tucked in the car door dripped all over my seat it was soaked :mad::mad: wont be doing it again its only just dried out been sitting on bin liner and towel!
    Oh no! Maybe just use something that can be tucked behind the windscreen wipers and not tucked into the car doors. I use a silver windscreen cover which is very thin. I think came from the £1 shop. So sorry to hear this didn't work out :(

Heavy snow and ice here today. Good practice run for winter prep. I need to find a soft brush broom to help clear the top of the car of snow.
    :snow_grin

Keep warm everyone :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • elisamoose
    elisamoose Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    bossymoo wrote: »
    I did something similar in my downstairs loo, but instead of stitching, I used safety pins and pinned a length of ribbon a couple of inches from each end. During the day I roll it up to the tension rod and tie the ribbon, a makeshift blind :T

Thanks for that idea!
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Youngest DD put her sensible head on and asked for the Lakeland heated airer for Christmas. They've got it early from us and are very pleased with it so far:)
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    From what I'm seeing on Netweather this week, most of the UK are looking at minus temps during the day from the middle of next week for a prolonged period with a likely possibility of widespread snow :eek:

I hope everyones ready?

Apart from the bedroom curtain fiasco, we've been ready for a while. I read this thread religiously, although I only posted once or twice. Notably in 2010 when we arrived home boxing day from visiting family and the condensing pipe to the boiler had frozen and our house was a balmy 8 degrees! Then the pipes burst lol. We laugh now....

So, we've curtains up at the front and back door, radiator foil on all external wall rads and fleeces on the sofa's along with a duvet on the matress and lots of layers being worn. I will admit to being fortunate enough to be in a position where we could deliberately overpay our gas & electric bills this summer and so we're almost £200 in credit which takes a load off, knowing that we don't have to suffer the cold too badly. I have the gas fire on now as the living room dropped to 15 degrees and I'm working from home so can't move about.

No need to stock up on anything really as we're pretty organised like that and only live a couple of hundred yards from the main road which has Morrisons, Lidle and lots of corner shops so we won't struggle if it does snow.

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    in a newspaper this week they were raving on about thermal pyjamas from asda for £5 theres none in our local, anyone bought any, and whats verdict?
    thanks
    :A :j
  • boddy
    boddy Posts: 3,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm in the North East and there was none in the local Asda today. She did say they were getting them.
  • sexki11en wrote: »
    I will admit to being fortunate enough to be in a position where we could deliberately overpay our gas & electric bills this summer and so we're almost £200 in credit which takes a load off, knowing that we don't have to suffer the cold too badly.

I didn't realise you could overpay like that.:T I might do that next year. Ours is only electric so we only pay about £60 a month but I think it should go up soon as we have the heaters on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure