The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Husband sent to prison for CSA, advice please.

Hi, I am new on here. Yesterday my Husband was sent to prison for 84 days for two lots of CSA arrears (for the same child), amounting to £4600. We had made numerous offers to pay in installments but the CSA would not accept it, they wanted a lump sum. We have been self employed but lost our business, but they would not accept that it was cant pay and not wont pay. We provided all our bank statements, letters showing what debts we have etc., but to no avail. My husband has not seen his son for about 5 years, and the only time we hear from his ex is when she rings to find out what we are buying him for Christmas or Birthdays. She has said that my husband can see him, but when we drive the 90 miles to where they live, she either doesnt answer the door, or phones to say he is ill about 10 minutes before we are due to arrive. I do realise this is a separate issue, but the point I am trying to make is that my husband has tried to be a good father, but is not allowed to be. I am devastated that he has been sent to prison, but could do with some advice about the best way forward. I am given to understand that even though he serves the time, the debt still remains, but our circumstances will be even worse as now he will not have been able to work or look for work for 12 weeks. I am not working for the last couple of weeks but am looking although I can only work part time as I have two children of my own and I care for my disabled mother. What will happen when he comes out, will they send him back to court again, and what happens to the other arrears that are accruing in the meantime.
Sorry for the long winded post, I am just so upset and confused and seem to be going roundin circles.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Comments

• Have a look at the following website.

www.prisonchatuk.com

You're clearly in a state at the moment with everything that has happened. Have a look at the forums on that site. There are some amazing people out there and they will be able to provide you with some support and possibly some of the answers you are looking for.
    I've worked in the Financial Services industry for the last 25 years. When posting on this forum I am not providing any financial advice or representing anyone but simply posting my own personal views. Always make sure you seek suitable Financial Advice from an authorised professional based on your own personal needs and objectives.
  • I would go to the press, this is ridiculous, the courts are told not to imprison people because there is no space and they can't get the burglars in!! Waste of tax payers money. If there is an unpaid debt that the court has awarded as a fine, the fine gets spent if the debtor goes to prison, so it may be the same. I can not imagine it will still stand, as this was the penalty for not paying it. Seek advice from someone that knows.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • Thank you both for the replies. I couldnt go to the press, my husband is so mortified that he made me promise before he went to court that I wouldnt tell anyone. They could have confiscated his passport I believe, which would have made more sense, as clearly if he had enough money to go on holiday, then he would be taking the mickey. But they wouldnt do that. His soliitor said she thought the magistrates were a bit hard doing the two 42 day sentences to run one after the other (cant think of the word), rather than at the same time.
  • I wonder would your MP be able to help, if you look online to find out who it is, they should have a website with details of who to write to, or even surgery hours when you can go in and speak to them in person. I'm sure he/she would have to keep it confidential. I wish you well in sorting this out, it is a dreadful situation to be in.
    Light Bulb Moment: October 2011
    Debts: Cabot [STRIKE]£3289[/STRIKE] £0 :jLink 1 [STRIKE]£4050[/STRIKE] £0 Monument [STRIKE]£2907[/STRIKE] £0 Link 2 [STRIKE]£1083[/STRIKE] £0Overdraft [STRIKE]£3450[/STRIKE] £0 :beer:

Mortgage balance Mar 15 £16,927.68 / £14,3,810
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mrsrdj wrote: »
    Thank you both for the replies. I couldnt go to the press, my husband is so mortified that he made me promise before he went to court that I wouldnt tell anyone. They could have confiscated his passport I believe, which would have made more sense, as clearly if he had enough money to go on holiday, then he would be taking the mickey. But they wouldnt do that. His soliitor said she thought the magistrates were a bit hard doing the two 42 day sentences to run one after the other (cant think of the word), rather than at the same time.

Yet you have told the whole internet world :eek:
    £50 week for 2 yrs clears the arrears, I would certainley sacrifice that than forever be in fear of KY jelly :o
  • LOL, I know, but no one knows who we are... I hope! We offered to pay in installments but the CSA wont accept it. Trust me, the last thing we wanted was for him to go prison, this really is cant pay and not wont pay. The CSA said all they would accept was a lump sum.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mrsrdj wrote: »
    LOL, I know, but no one knows who we are... I hope! We offered to pay in installments but the CSA wont accept it. Trust me, the last thing we wanted was for him to go prison, this really is cant pay and not wont pay. The CSA said all they would accept was a lump sum.

It is not up to the CSA though it is up to the courts, did he not have any representation?
    What are you going to do for the time he is away? a lot of lonely nights ensue, let's hope he does not start batting for the other side :o
    Sadly though the monies will still be due upon his release :(
    As he would have been sent down for being in contempt (or similar).
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    But she said they have offered to pay by installments and they wouldn't accept it. It's a dammed disgrace, and it's not even that large a sum!! I'd go to the press if only to show how stupid the CSA is, the jails are full to bursting and they are leaving real criminals out early, and you get this sort of thing!!!
  • mspa
    mspa Posts: 134 Forumite
    I am suprised that they turned down instalments. There must be more to this.
  • mspa wrote: »
    I am suprised that they turned down instalments. There must be more to this.

They said it was because what we could afford to pay wouldnt cover the arrears and the current payment and the arrears that have been building up, so it would never be paid. Ive had the conversation with them myself several times. Also, they are basing what he is supposed to pay on when he had a successful business before he met me and was earning a lot more. We have applied to be reassesed but they wont backdate anything. It will only be reassessed from the date we applied for it. Im not sure if that makes any sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure