Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Timing Chain Recall?

Comments

• Only recall I can find on these is "WATER INGRESS INTO ABS WIRING MAY CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT AND A FIRE" (not my caps!) which was issued on the Corsa C in 2004.

Regards,
    Andy
  • T reg wont need doing.
  • Thanks for the reply and telling me my T reg does not need doing very good to hear it as when I bought it this year a machanic mate said they are not good buys as the timing chains wear and cost £300 to have it done, he does note rate the Corsa would anyone care to give their views on if it is a good or bad car, as only had mine couple of months be good to her from longer term owners just what they think of the Corsa 12V, What sort of MPG should I expect . . .Thanks . . Reb . . .
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rebelpeter wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and telling me my T reg does not need doing very good to hear it as when I bought it this year a machanic mate said they are not good buys as the timing chains wear and cost £300 to have it done, he does note rate the Corsa would anyone care to give their views on if it is a good or bad car, as only had mine couple of months be good to her from longer term owners just what they think of the Corsa 12V, What sort of MPG should I expect . . .Thanks . . Reb . . .

The timing chains last a lot longer than the belts. A new cambelt and pulley would cost you £300 every 40,000 miles.

At the end of the day your Corsa is a banger. It's a reasonable car to get from A to B. MPG depends on the state of the engine and how you drive. I reckons you should get low 40's minimum.

The only main problem with Corsas of this age is the mild steel fuel tank which will rust and leak.
    The man without a signature.
  • Thanks for your tips and good to know the chains last longer than belts, it is is good condition and it is on 70,000 so should be ok by the sounds of it, I do little mileage so should last longer that way . . .
  • It's swings and roundabouts really, honestly, I prefer belts. You know they will should be changed at x miles, failure rates these days seem rather similar, infact I'd wager there are more chain failures now than belt failures.

Chains on OHV engines, back when they were 6" long and practically ran in the sump were sealed for life and never failed, however modern, long, duplex chains seem to fail with alarming regularity, that's if they don't get clattery and stretch beforehand. That said, at least chains give you a warning of iminent failure (sometimes.)

Chains are also at the mercy of the engine oil, whereas belts are not.

As an example, Ford specify 100,000/ten years for the mk4/5 Fiesta belts, and these reguarly go beyond these with no reports of failures. Some of the DV engines are 150,000/ten years for the belt!

Regards,
    Andy
  • Mmm yes I see what you mean with belts you just have it changed at x miles, but are chains more expensive to have the job done as apposed to belts, is chains a harder and costlier job to replace. Sounds like engine oil needs reguar checking as well as changing too. . .
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply and telling me my T reg does not need doing very good to hear it as when I bought it this year a machanic mate said they are not good buys as the timing chains wear and cost £300 to have it done, he does note rate the Corsa would anyone care to give their views on if it is a good or bad car, as only had mine couple of months be good to her from longer term owners just what they think of the Corsa 12V, What sort of MPG should I expect . . .Thanks . . Reb . . .

my T reg one rattled like the proverbial skeleton in a dustbin.. got it changed with a new designed one from vauxhall ( cost about £35 for the parts and my local mechanic changed it for about 100 iirc) made no difference :rotfl: piece of crap cora
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is a link to the Corsa forum. This is a known problem.

http://www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?40531-Recall-Thread
  • Hi,yes chains are a lot more expensive to replace because it is a sump off job,mine will cost me £570.00 at an independant and £705.00 at vauxhall,just because GM knowingly fitted inferioe parts to start with and the oil changes are much too far appart
    Mmm yes I see what you mean with belts you just have it changed at x miles, but are chains more expensive to have the job done as apposed to belts, is chains a harder and costlier job to replace. Sounds like engine oil needs reguar checking as well as changing too. . .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure