What does holiday pay accrued mean?

This is my first job I've been in long tern, almost 11 months now. After a year I get the holiday pay I'm owed as I've not taken it, however I'm unsure of what this means on my payslip.

On my recent payslip it has Holiday Entilement Accrued: 4.26 and below that is has Holiday Pay Accured: 712.97

What exactly do these two things mean exactly?! Lol

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can't tell you exactly what those numbers mean, but 'accrued holiday entitlement' is the amount of holiday you would be entitled to take and be paid for, and 'holiday pay accrued' means how much you'd be paid if you left without taking that holiday.

I'm guessing that after 11 months you might have 'earned' 4.26 weeks' worth of leave, because the minimum statutory entitlement is 5.6 weeks or 28 days, but this can include bank holidays and assumes you're working days per week. And I can't quite get to that figure.

HOWEVER you do need to check whether your employer will pay you for leave not taken if you're staying in the job, because I didn't think you could pay someone NOT to take their leave. And some employers will let you carry some over to the next leave year, and some won't.

If the job is only temporary then you could work without taking any paid leave and get your holiday entitlement paid at the end.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Oh it makes a bit more sense now! I thought it was days not weeks haha which is why the 2nd figure made no sense at all. So in theory my holiday pay that should be paid is the 2nd figure? I think it's kind of right as I get paid ever 2 weeks and get about £300-£330 though that comes in less that what it's saying. hmm!

And it is only tempory work and I'm pretty sure we get it paid to us as it's not carried over to the next year, my manager tried getting me to take some holiday a few months ago but I refused for the reason I want it in one lump sum on top of my usual wages! I work at McHell (Mc Donalds) just been applying to new jobs as it's defo time to leave that place and with all christmas temp work going I'll be mad not to take a chance on getting something better! :]

My start date and 1 year annversary is 6th December so it's not too long away
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do just check that they will pay you accrued wages if you work beyond 6th December then, or make sure you leave before that!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Just to note statutory holiday cannot be paid ontop of wages, it must be taken to ensure your company is complying with working time directives.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, do check about your holidays, some companies say if you dont take them you can lose them. and you payslip figures will go down to nil.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mudd14 wrote: »
    Just to note statutory holiday cannot be paid ontop of wages, it must be taken to ensure your company is complying with working time directives.

Wow, i didnt know that.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, and the holiday needs to be taken "in year" not after it - except, IIRC, the extra parts of a week which have been added since the original 4 week (built up from 3 week) entitlement.
  • qw3rt7
    qw3rt7 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Yeah this is important! If you leave before you have completed a year, your outstanding holiday will be paid. However, if you work for over a year, having been given the opportunity to take holiday AND refused to do so, there is no obligation to pay it or carry it over!!!
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Mudd14 wrote: »

True but you can be paid for instead of taking any contractural holiday above the statutory minimum. So, for example, if you are entitled to 33 days but only take the statutory 28 some firms may opt to pay you for the extra five days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure