Replacing Ideal boiler's PCB

Hi,

My Ideal Isar HE24 boiler is broken and I've been told the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) needs replacing.

There are two in the boiler - a main and a small one, costing around £180 and £150.

I've been told by a local plumbing firm that its best to replace them both at the same time rather than just the faulty one.

Does anyone know if this is correct or are they trying to charge me for two parts when only one is required?

Comments

• there is 1 pcb only and i advise you to have it replaced with the v9 pcb
  • Phaid
    Phaid Posts: 19 Forumite
    Hi, I also have what appears to be the same problem.
    I've got no power to the display at all, I've tested the mains inside the boiler and its fine so its not a supply problem.
    After some searching it seems that its most likely to be the PCB and I see that you can buy them for about £100.
    It seems to me that its a fairly easy thing to replace, so can I do it or is it part of the corgi / gas safe stuff?
    The best things in life are FREE :wink: - It's the next to best things that keep you broke :D
  • Hi, Ideal used to do a call out of £140 to repair your boiler inc ALL materials no matter what was wrong. Basically they throw parts at it untill it springs into life. Check 1st to see if they are doing a similar deal.
  • PDM1
    PDM1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Phaid wrote: »
    Hi, I also have what appears to be the same problem.
    I've got no power to the display at all, I've tested the mains inside the boiler and its fine so its not a supply problem.
    After some searching it seems that its most likely to be the PCB and I see that you can buy them for about £100.
    It seems to me that its a fairly easy thing to replace, so can I do it or is it part of the corgi / gas safe stuff?
    I have only just joined.

I myself have been in the industry for 24 years now and so have experience in this area, I understand the you can replace any electrical item on the boiler so long as you do not disturb ang combustion parts of the boiler ( flueways, boiler seal around heat exchager ect,) you also need to aware of the new Part P regs relating to domestic electrical work, but as in this case you are not installing a new electrical circuit ( i.e new sockets ) so yo ushould be ok.

Regards
  • Phaid
    Phaid Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thanks PDM1 & david101, I got British Gas in to do it for £140.
    It took them two trips as the call centre guy didn't listen to me when I told him what the problem was and that there was little point in them coming out with out a PCB.
    So a few extra quid, but its guaranteed for a year and all covered under the rules.
    I watched him do it, it seemed fiddly but fairly straight forward.
    The best things in life are FREE :wink: - It's the next to best things that keep you broke :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure