Easyjet - cancelled flight due to bad weather

Hi there I have just got back from Portugal after spending two days waiting for a new flight. My flight was originally planned to leave on Monday 2nd February at 1000 but was cancelled due the bad weather in London. I waited for 6 hours and wasn't offered any food or drink. Instead I was offered an alternative flight to Gatwick airport on Wednesday 4th February. Easyjet offered me one night in a five star hotel and asked me to return the next day. Upon returning the lady at the counter said that they only offered one night in the hotel and that the company would not pay for another night. I asked to use the phone so I could ring my insurance company for advice but was offered no support what so ever. I had to make my own travel and hotel arrangements for the extra night including food. We flew out on Wednesday and the plane arrived late leaving me no option but to stay at the airport as there were no trains or coaches available back home. I must have spent another 300 euros in total just trying to get back home. My questions are:

1)What can I claim back and how
2)Do I have a right to complain as I should have been provided with a second days worth of accommodation.
3)I have travel insurance for this trip with mondial insurance. They said that they would provide me with 20 pounds for every twelve hours delay but is there anything else I can claim.

any help would be great thanks

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Smiley82
    Smiley82 Posts: 339 Forumite
    Bummer about the flight delays, never a fun time!! I found the below information for you:

There is no entitlement to financial compensation for delayed flights. But you may be entitled to care and assistance, as well as a rescheduled flight or reimbursement if the delay is:
    • Two hours or more for a flight of 1,500km or less
    • Three hours or more for a flight within the EU of more than 1,500km, and all other flights between 1,500 and 3,500km
    • Four hours or more in the case of all other flights
    In these cases the airline must provide passengers with a written notice setting out the rules for assistance in line with EU regulations. It must also display a sign at the check-in referring to air passenger rights under the regulations. These rights include:
    • Free meals and refreshments in proportion to the waiting time
    • Hotel accommodation where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, and transport between the airport and hotel
    • Communications: two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or emails
    Where the flight delay is at least five hours and the purpose of your journey is no longer attainable, the airline must offer reimbursement for the part of the journey you've already made. For example, the cost of a flight from Cork to Dublin will be reimbursed if the purpose was to travel on a connecting flight to London for a function which you cannot possibly attend due to the delay. In addition you have the right to a return flight to the original point of departure where relevant.
    This right to reimbursement only applies where you decide not to travel as a result of the delay - it is not possible to travel and also claim reimbursement under the EU rules.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Travel/air-travel/delayed-and-cancelled-flights.html

I know it's an Ireland Website, but the EU rules are the same for everyone. I think you really should have been given an extra night at the hotel.
  • jignesh111 wrote: »
    Do I have a right to complain as I should have been provided with a second days worth of accommodation.

Easyjet's T&C's doesn't mention anything about only paying for ONE night's accommodation in a hotel. Therefore they should put you up more than one night if you're stranded any lenghts of time.

Where you choose to be re-routed at the EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY:
    1. You will be provided with meals and refreshments (or vouchers) in a reasonable relation to your waiting time; and
    2. If an overnight stay is required because the reasonably expected time of departure is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, easyJet shall offer you hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and the hotel (within reason).
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    But this was a cancelled flight and not a delayed flight, and you missed off the later section of the rules for cancelled flights. Some airlines interpret the rules in the passengers favour and pay out anyway, others do not.

Cancelled flights

Your rights in the event of a flight cancellation vary depending on when you are informed of the cancellation. If a flight is cancelled without prior warning, the airline must offer passengers the choice between:
    • Reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket for the parts of the journey not made, and
    • Re-routing under comparable transport conditions to their final destination at the earliest opportunity. Re-routing may also be at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to the availability of seats.
    If your journey involves connecting flights, and if the purpose of your journey is now pointless thanks to a delay, the airline must reimburse you for parts of the journey already made.
    You would also be entitled to a return flight to your original point of departure.
    The regulations also provide for the payment of financial compensation to passengers, in addition to reimbursements and re-routing. However, you are not entitled to compensation if:
    • The airline can prove that the flight cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances which couldn't have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken -the EU regulations give examples such as political instability, bad weather, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes
    • The airline gave you adequate notice of the cancellation
  • Smiley82
    Smiley82 Posts: 339 Forumite
    Altarf, you're completely correct......I missed the difference there between cancelled and delayed.....sorry for the incorrect info!
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think Altarf has the right take on this. As it was weather related and was over 24 hours it would have been a canceled flight, and no compensation was due.I think they did well putting you up in a 5 star hotel for the night, don't think they even had to offer you that. As for the delay you should have been offered a meal voucher, but then again you usually have to go up and ask for it. I always carry a copy of the European regulations around with me these days, comes to something when you have to do that. Gone are the days I am afraid of flying on holiday and after a 2 hour delay you were all called up to the desk and issued with vouchers as a matter of course.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No Altarf (#5), there is a difference between compensation (typically 250 Euro if an airline cancels a flight without a very good reason) and care: meals, hotel and two telephone calls. I think the OP has a right to a refund of reasonable out of pocket expenses, including a hotel for the second night, but not to a cash payment.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No Altarf (#5), there is a difference between compensation (typically 250 Euro if an airline cancels a flight without a very good reason) and care: meals, hotel and two telephone calls. I think the OP has a right to a refund of reasonable out of pocket expenses, including a hotel for the second night, but not to a cash payment.
    So if EJ did not have another flight with availability for a week would they have been expected to pay for 7 more nights accommodation?
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • i'm even more confused then before. i guess i'm upset because i had to pay for a hotel for the second night
  • madkitty
    madkitty Posts: 447 Forumite
    Im also trying to get clarification on this as we have had to pay our for 4 nights in poland thanks to easyjets "next available flight". Im trying to get clarification on the part where they say in their terms that they will pay for accomoodation if you are re-routed as isnt this what has happened?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure