Registry Office Wedding

My oh has recently proposed and we intend to get married in a registry office please can anyone advise as to the procedure we need to follow to apply how much it is likely to cost and is it stupid to have one or more bridesmaids.
I have been married before in a church but otherhalf has not been married however we only want a small affair.
Thanks
2010 - Goals

1. on the long road to hopefully adopting a child - Home Visit 3 Feb 2010

2. Planning to clear my credit card debt.

3. lose weight.

Comments

• neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    Cost

£100 to £160 depending on if you take pictures in their 'garden area' if they have one

Procedure:

1. Ring local registry office to book appointment with a registrar (person who interviews you both seperately to see if you really know each other)
    2. Pay registrar fee for registering your intention to marry (Costs 30 pound each at Plymouth registry office)
    3. Return form with wedding vow choices, music,reading choices etc and pay for fee for ceremony (ours was 100 pound for 3 wedding certificates, registry office and 15 minutes outside for photographs)

Bridesmaids/Best Men:

We are having A best mand and Bridesmaids... after the cermony we will take pics in the garden area then head off to the sit down meal.. where I, best man and brides father will give a speech.. so no bridesmaid/best men aren't silly... Its your day :) so enjoy it.

Clothes

As for what I'm wearing, OH is wearing Wedding Dress and Im wear a Suit with Tie to max wedding dress... no top hat etc.

Registrar will interview you both and probably want to see documentation surrounding your divorce so you can declare you are legally allowed to marry.

Congrats and good luck :).
  • Thanks for that but do we have to go for an interview before we can discuss any dates etc, as we need to book a reception venue ?
    2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

• miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Your local council website will have all the imformation on venues, fees and forms you need etc

You will need 2 witnesses so thats your Bestman/ Bridesmaid sorted.

If you have younger family members a flowergirl and/or Pageboy would be nice, but not essential. You can get lovely little outfits for very little if you shop around
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • plus do we have to pay the full £130 up front then even if the wedding would be over a year away ?
    2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

• I checked the website but for some reason it would not load so was unable to get any information of the site
    thanks
    2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

• Thanks miserly mum yes we were planning to just get a couple of dresses from bhs for the younger girls and shirts and waistcoats for my brothers two boys who will be 3 and 4.
    2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

• miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Thanks for that but do we have to go for an interview before we can discuss any dates etc, as we need to book a reception venue ?

A lot of Hotels are Registered now so that you can get married and have reception at the same place.

Might be easier to get bookings at shorter notice if you have the wedding mid week. Most places are booked months or years in advance for weekend weddings
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • neas
    You have to pay the £60 for registering intention for marriage (this is where your name is posted at your local registry office for anyone to disrepute your intention to marry... i.e if you are already married someone can oppose it...its just a law thingy)

The cost for ceremony and marriage certificates: (I'll post plymouths website):
    Basic marriage ceremony

This may take place in a ceremony room at the Register Office or a licensed room at an approved premises.
    The Registrar will require to see both parties to the marriage together prior to the ceremony. This is to ensure that all details for the ceremony are correct and that all legal formalities have been completed.
    Ceremony
    The Superintendent Registrar will say the preliminary announcements.
    You will be required to say one form of declaration and one form of marriage contract out loud in the presence of two witnesses plus the Superintendent Registrar and the Registrar.
    You have the option to exchange one or two rings and the option to make a promise to one another.
    The Superintendent Registrar will announce that you are husband and wife and ask you to sign the marriage register.
    Cost
    • Register Office ceremony room or office, 15 minute booking - £40
    • Drake Ceremony Room and garden facilities, 30 minute booking, plus additional time - £90
    • Drake Ceremony Room and garden facilities, 45 minute booking, plus additional time - £125
    • Approved Premises - £27

We paid the other £90 a month later after we had made our vow combination choices and music choices etc. Basically you need to pay 60 quid upfront to start with then have 1-2 months to pay the other 90-100 quid.
  • neas
    Thanks for that but do we have to go for an interview before we can discuss any dates etc, as we need to book a reception venue ?

You can provisionally book at date on the phone with them.. I.e book a date and time slot. :)
  • Thanks all i will give them a ring tomorrow to check on dates and then book an appt for me and oh, thanks all
    2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport