Where to buy a good saucepan?

2»

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just had this set from QVC, I'm pleased with it, it's gotr a lifetime guarantee so I won't have to bother buying any again.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.827245/walk.yah.UKHG-UK14

I got these as well to go with them they are ideal for omlettes/savoury rice etc.
    http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.826639/walk.yah.UKHG-UK14

There's more stuff I'll get as time goes by. all matching too.
  • nonumb
    nonumb Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Best bet in my experience is to buy a tefal one (not sure where is cheapest) but these are relatively inexpensive and last years and years where other pans dont last

Also they are very easy to clean
  • I bought Meyer pans from Debenhams about fifteen years ago but they have not lasted as well as I thought they would with the non-stick eventually wearing and peeling off on some pans, they were not cheap costing over 100 quid.

To replace the Meyer pans I bought a 365+ set from Ikea, which were on offer a few months ago when you used your family card. It comes with 3 stainless steel pots. Two different sized pots with wee handles on the side, a small pan suitable for milk or scrambling eggs,sauces and a frying pan. The frying pan is non-stick and has no lid but the rest in the set are stainless steel with lids. They have a thick heavy bottom on the pans too so are more likely to last longer and not warp with the heat. Ikea do lots of different sorts of pans, some come with a guarantee so I'm sure you'd find something suitable in there if you can get to an Ikea.

I also have a 3 tier stainless steel steamer I use all the time which was from M&S about ten years ago and that has lasted very well, I use it a couple of times a week. If you can't get to Ikea maybe try M&S especially if they have a 20% off day.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Until you understand the type of cooking you will be doing you won't know what you need.

A good steel wok is a good option and very versatile,

Oven proof is worth having so a good cast iron pot is usefull to double up for one pot oven dishes.

A decent non stick frying pan is a must for some dishes.

What about a slow cooker.

A large deep frying pan with lid may be an option for a single pan it would be that or a wok if I was one potting.

Plenty of seccond and stuff in the charity shops to get started and upgrade when you know what works for you.
  • Prestige pans are sold in Woolies. There are half price and then anothere 20% off. I bought a huge frying pan for £8.00, should have been £20. You might have to be quick though.
  • davester
    davester Posts: 4,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    remember before you buy it check it is suitable for your cooker type. Not all pans can be used on all types
    Survey earnings total 2009 £417, 2010 £875, 2011 £574
  • Mander
    Mander Posts: 65 Forumite
    We bought a set of pans in John Lewis about 3 years ago for £50 (two sauce pans, small frying/omlette pan, milk pan) and they seem to be holding up pretty well. I also got a great cast iron skillet from Ikea for about £6, and a cast iron casserole from Tesco (on sale for £10 or so).

When I first moved to the UK I bought a big stainless steel wok with a lid from the Yorkshire Trading Company for £10, and I cooked everything in it for a few months. It wasn't particularly gourmet or elegant, but it is possible to cook the spaghetti in the sauce and have something edible!
  • MadMac_2
    MadMac_2 Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    I would echo the thumbs up for IKEA pans. I have had a big and a little one for a few years now and they still look like new. You can get cheaper ones in their range, or more expensive - entirely up to you, but I opted for their cheaper ones and don't regret it. Definitely worth a look if you live near a store.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/10508/
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    Thank you guys! You all really helped me and prevented me from making a mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure