Can I use 18185 with Talk Talk ?

Hi,
I'm with Onetel at the moment and use 18185 regularly, but I'm thinking of going over to Talk Talk, as, although they are both Carphone Warehouse, Talk Talk works out a lot cheaper.
I'm wondering if I'll be able to use 18185 with Talk Talk as I do with Onetel ?
Thanks
:confused::confused:

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    If you leave your line rental with BT and just use Talk Talk as your CPS (Carrier PreSelect) calls provider, yes.

If you hand over your line rental to Talk Talk, they bar the likes of 18185 on their LLU lines and can bar them on WLR lines if they want.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bloodnok
    bloodnok Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Heinz,
    Looking at Talk Talks blurb, you have to switch to their line rental which is £10.50, the same as BTs, which means I can't use 18185..............Damn !
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been with Talk Talk for ages and am also registered with 18866. I haven't had any problems - I just don't tell them :D

I don't know if any of the others are barred though.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I have been with Talk Talk for ages and am also registered with 18866. I haven't had any problems - I just don't tell them :D

I don't know if any of the others are barred though.
    You've been lucky so far but, when Talk Talk LLU your exchange, you'll lose the ability to use 1899, 18866 and 18185.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Heinz wrote: »
    If you leave your line rental with BT and just use Talk Talk as your CPS (Carrier PreSelect) calls provider, yes.

If you hand over your line rental to Talk Talk, they bar the likes of 18185 on their LLU lines and can bar them on WLR lines if they want.
    I LLU'd with TalkTalk, so I can't use the 18185 prefix - I use their 0808 number instead.

I've got to admit that I've been encountering some problems when using them to call Mrs Mothballs' family flat in Russia - things like I can hear the call ringing, but their phone doesn't ring (they always answer in that flat if it rings), and the line quality's gone down a bit.

However, as I'm trying to reach the Russian phone system, which isn't always the best system in the world, I'll let them off (tbh, I used to get the same problem with BT as well, so it's not the UK carrier's fault).

I'm trying one of Martin's other recommendations (4cheapcalling) from the International Call Checker Tool for the moment and it seems to be doing better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure