BCW - What you should know [Insider]

13»

Comments

• FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    megalogs wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping an old thread but I need some advice.

I recieved a call from BCW today, I missed the call but the left a voicemail on my mobile, dont know how thay got it.
    What shall i do, Ring them back? or just ignore them?

Ignore them. Wait until they write to you.

EDIT - I've just realised I've contributed two posts to a couple of ancient enquiries. Oops!
  • Fureiya
    Fureiya Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 March 2011 at 9:26PM
    I just revive a call fm bcw not only did they call after 7 but the also called from my partner . He recieved the call first, but had missed it by the time he realised it was ringing... So then my phone started ringing I didn't recognise the number but it was a local number! So when I answered the man on the other end asked for my partner I asked who was calling he said bcw and next thing o know they have hung up! What do o do they keep calling me! And I've requested they remove my number but evidently they haven't! Do u know if they look after virgin media debt? As this is the only possible thing it could be? And that was payed direct to virgin ( final balance on a closed account never recieved the final bill as they sent to out old address instead of the new one so we didn't realise we still had £20.77 out standing that was payed 3 months ago the account closed less than 5 months ago)

Do they have an office in Bradford?
    Any help you cod give would be great

Thanks
    Fureiya :mad::mad:
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    GlosBoy wrote: »
    Hi

I recived a call from BCW on Thursday and they left a message asking to call back.

Moved to a new thread.

---> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3289748
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • I had a letter from them saying they would send someone around to my house!

they wanted £4100 off me for a loan that was from 9 years ago which was only £800 and it turns out they can't do a thing as its over 6 years old so sent them a lovely letter saying

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

“An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued”.
    I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:

“It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation
    period”.

The last acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act
    I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:
    “Continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.
    I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed. I look forward to your reply

hahah so they can jog on !

:rotfl:
  • Hi,

Today, I got a final letter from BCW stating that, I owe £25.62 to orange. If is not settled they would recommend clients commence legal proceedings. I used orange monthly rolling contract and I am very well informed them before closing the account and I don't remember anything I owe them.

Now, please advice what to do ? shall I pay them or ignore the letter.
  • fermi
    I would talk to Orange to see id this if a genuine debt and if so why it occurred.

BCW do seem to end up with a lot of 'phantom' debts that never did or shouldn't exist, so best to check it out with Orange first.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• fermi
    qa6dc4 wrote: »
    hi there what i can do to stop bcw ?

bcw keep

This would be better in it's own thread so people can more easily help.

I'll move it into one and be back with a link.

New thread here ---> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3583969

• fermi
    I recieved a letter yesterday looking for full payment by the 31st of october I owe 476euro to an electricty supplier. If i ignor them will they just go away they've been ringing me every day I answered once and told them they had the wrong number but they keep ringing so I'm going to change my number. Will they call to my door.

Same as above.

Moved to a new thread here: ---> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3583977

• What actually is the statute period before a debt should be considered 'written off' please?
    Approximately 10 years ago I lived at a different address and had debts that I simply had no money to be in a position to pay through suffering a long term illness (current). I was forced to move address to a more affordable home. Wrongly, I never left a forwarding address for these debts but they traced me to my new home through the new occupants of my old address. I never acknowledged my new address to any of these companies and have ignored all further correspondence. Suffice to say, they have not established 100% my living at this address by physically witnessing my residence. I incurred these debts from 1996 to 2003 amassing a sum total of around £12k between three companies: MasterCard, Capital One & Nat West - I have absolutely no intentions towards the last company as they amount to scurrilous charges for OD and DD payments. When I asked for a record of statements for the last six years from the bank they sent me both my account records and that of another customer in which I traced back the owner whom was most angry that I could now see in front of me all their financial concerns. I was quite happy to retain this 'error' for use in court should NatWest peruse the matter for debt recovery as evidence that 'Banks don't make mistakes'!
    Anyway, back to the point in question - neither company has ascertained my definite whereabouts since, at best, 2003 and at worst, 1996. I get occasional mail or calls from these companies but have not responded. What is the term for a debt to be valid before it becomes written off under the statute of limitation laws?
    I have not tried to avoid these debts out of malice or irresponsibility but out of fear and ignorance with the additional knowledge that, as I have no income I have no means! The debts incurred were the result of my financial position at the time being vastly different to how it ended up. Prior to the debt I paid off my cards as regular as clockwork but then, through illness, lost my line of work and, as a self employed person with, what I thought was a guaranteed repayment PPI program. When I initially claimed they all said my PPI wasn't valid under 'self-employment' rules and therefore I would not have the monthly amounts repaid under this insurance. I felt cheated and then decided to cheat them by not responding to calls for repayment. They had received the additional PPI payments each month from me but did not even offer to refund this, hence why I asked the NatWest for the statements for 6 years viz Martin Lewis advice.
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    For simple contract debts like credit card, store cards, personal loans and catalogues, the limitation period is 6 years.

A debt could be statute barred if the creditor have not obtained a CCJ, and you have not acknowledged the debt in writting or by making a part payment in the relevant limitation period. When a debt is statute barred it stays that way permanently.

Statute Barred does not mean the debt is written off.

If you start a new tread you might be able to get more responces.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure