The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Boxing day pay

My partner is a security guard and is due to work Christmas day and boxing day. They have agreed to pay double time for christmas day but have now been told that boxing day will be at single time and the double time will be paid for monday 28th. I think this is to keep the office staff happy. As far I was aware Boxing day is a public holiday and therefore should be paid acordingly. Does anyone know the law on this.
Thanks

Comments

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It depends on his contract of employment.

Some employees now have contracts which mean they don't pay double time on bank and/or public holidays.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Technically they are correct that it is the Monday that is the bank holiday.

[I heard on the radio the other day that that meant parking restrictions on Boxing day will follow regular Saturday hours rather than bank holiday hours!]

But to only be paid single time on the 26th is harsh.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    Forumite

[I heard on the radio the other day that that meant parking restrictions on Boxing day will follow regular Saturday hours rather than bank holiday hours!]
    This is not everywhere which is the problem. Some councils consider it a public holiday while others don't.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    It may seem strange that your OH's employer is paying single time for working Saturday which would be Boxing Day, however we don't have bank holidays at weekends and therefore we get a day off for Boxing Day on 28 December for which your OH is being paid double time as you have already stated. I cannot see a problem with this and as others have stated, he needs to look at his contract to find out what he is paid for working weekends.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Horace wrote: »
    we get a day off for Boxing Day on 28 December for which your OH is being paid double time as you have already stated.
    Is he actually working on the monday, though?
    I cannot see a problem with this.
    Problems would be if he agreed to work Boxing day on the basis that it would be double time. Or if he is being made to work Boxing day for no extra reward.
  • hook
    hook Posts: 236
    Forumite
    i worked in security and if ever a boxing day fell on a weekend we would only get the double pay on the following bank holiday monday. also for new years eve we would only get double pay as from midnight jan 1st unless it was door work then double pay new years eve and single for new years day
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    You're not entitled too it.

You're not even entitled legally to enhanced pay for public holidays.

Quite easy to change it in the contracts so probably best not too shout too loudly.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852
    Forumite
    My DH (not in security) is working sat, sun and mon. He's actually getting double time for sat AND mon, which is rather nice!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,021
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For people who work weekends, it would be reasonble to pay the enhancement on the Saturday, but not Monday. For mon-Fri workers, it would be reasonable to pay the enhancement for Monday. The trouble with these bank holiday laws is they're made up by people who work Monday to Friday, for people who work Monday to Friday.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I used to manage a security company many years ago, the contracts we held with clients normally specify they will be charged double time on bank holidays. So the emnployer will probably only be receiving double bubble on the Monday and not the actual boxing day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure