Reporting nuisance calls. Help!

Who do i report nuisance calls to? BT who rent me my line or Tiscali who give me calls? Every night I am rung by a Glasgow number which hangs up when I pick up and is permanently engeged when I ring to find out what the hell they're playing at. Some bloody company doubtless but i'm sick of it.

thanks

Morag

Comments

• sarahluv
    sarahluv Posts: 162 Forumite
    it's probably westcot credit. they are based in glasgow. i used to be a telephone operator and we got a lot of enquiries about them. you could report it to bt. they are unlikely to do anything though.
  • Register with the Telephone Preference Service at http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ and this should reduce the number of sales calls you receive.

If you still have problems after registering with TPS then you can make a complaint to Ofcom via http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/la...nuisance/sales/.
  • iyiarz
    iyiarz Posts: 257 Forumite
    A company calls me at around 8:20 almost every morning. Usually ending in a silent call.
    If we do get an answer, they ask for someone who doesn't exist at my address.
    They don't try and sell anything when I tell them. We ask every time to have the number removed but they just don't do it.

I'm going to find out who they are and I'm going to write them a well written letter informing them that if they call me again, I will fine them £1000 for each call.
    I'll give them 7 days to remove my number and will demand that they confirm in writing that they've removed my number. I will tell them that removing the number and replying in writing to me is acceptance of the fine if they call again. I will also tell them that failure to comply and reply in 7 days is deemed acceptance of the fine.

Can I do that?
  • iyiarz
    iyiarz Posts: 257 Forumite
    Here's my Draft Letter....

<Insert Address>

IMPORTANT: A Response to this letter is required in writing within 7 days.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your company calls my telephone number almost every day at around 8:20am.

The call is received from your company from the following number: <Insert Number>

The call either results in a silent call because of your use of a Power Dialler, or rarely, connection to an agent who asks for someone who does not exist in my household.

This has now become a nuisance and annoyance. I am normally asleep at this time.

We have asked every time that our number is removed from your system, but this instruction has never been followed.

Please remove my number <Insert Number> from your system and respond in writing within 7 days to inform me that the number has been removed.
    • Failure to respond in writing will deem acceptance to a charge of £1000 for each call received from your company.
    • Responding in writing will also deem acceptance to the charge of £1000 for each call received from your company.
    The charge is for the service of answering your call. You will be sent an invoice to be paid, should I receive a call from your company. Failure to pay the invoice within 30 days will result in legal action.

There are no other options available to you. You accept the charge either way.

By reading this letter you understand the implications of acting or not acting on its contents.

Regards

<Insert Name>
  • Thanks everyone. Love the letter but how will you find out who they are? I tried putting the phone number in a search engine but it didn't work.

Morag
  • what was the number?
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could get caller display which is free and dont answer to anyone you dont know the number of.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • The number I keep getting phoned by is 0141 204 1684.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure