Parking in front of driveways

Comments

• Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    I just think its rude and lazy when people park infront of a house thats not theirs

Especially when they park over the driveway- Lazy and ignorant

know the rules of the rude.

Thats my point exactly ! ! ! good typo error!
  • RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry, I'm still not clear - have they blocked you in, or blocked you out?
    Is teh kerb dropped in front of the access to your driveway?
  • s1clark
    s1clark Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    They blocked me from coming in and yes it is a drop kerb. Sometimes i get blocked in aswell.
  • RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you would need to contact the Highways department of your local council if there is a dispute which is not on council property ie you aren't talking about a council house. Check your local council website to see if they have a process for dealing with these matters.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    it is a problem where i live, parking is a problem, my car is often blocked in by strangers vehicals. once i was even told by the driver that it was ok to park his car there as the person he was visiting told him i hardly ever used my car (this is true) so it was alright to park there (this is not true) but i was sitting in my car with my reversing lights on at the time the only reason i had not pulled out into the street was this 4x4 was coming driving by, he then reversed in behind me blocking off my drive. i have tried leaving polite notes on window screens but it does not work its often the same cars - i have even considered the key thing (but this is criminal damage) i have not tried it. it would not be such a problem if people asked and let me know which house they were visiting so i could get it moved if i needed to go out.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • We tried explaining to one neighbour until we were blue in the face that they really shouldn’t block our drive but it didn’t seem to sink in. Unfortunately, though they were very nice and apologetic about it the amoral anal cavity kept doing it.

In the end the only thing that got through to him was whenever he did this we made the point of ‘needing’ to use the car. This was usually about the time we judged he had just about settled down after getting in. - For sheer satisfaction the best times though were when we knew he had gone to bed or early in the morning. (Need good excuses for these times though.)

It hasn’t been a problem for a long time.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hollydays wrote: »
    Although i thanked your post-i was thanking the bit re the lines-not the bit re the keys.Mind you,I know of an office where they would "reward" people who parked in their parking spaces by gluing an A4 notice asking them not to do it,with very sticky glue,right over the drivers window..naughty..Or what if you put up a sign that say access requred for ambulance..well thats naughty too..but there is a grain of truth in it..

Like the sticky signs idea, serves them right. No lasting damage, just a pain in the neck, a bit like their parking:D

My brother in law used to work odd hours, typically he came home about three am. One night some neighbours had blocked his drive, he got them up he got the whole house/street up. He kept his hand on the horn till they came out to move it. Hes lived there over 20 years, it's never happened again. The rest of the street had the hump with them too, as the parking rules are well observed by everyone on their road.
  • kittycatty
    kittycatty Posts: 3,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I had a similar problem when I was in my previous property.
    My drive had a dropped kerb and a lay-by parking area. People always parked over the drive blooking me in and out or parked just a little over so you could barely get in/out. I gave up asking them to move so I badgered my local council and they agreed to paint the white lines free of charge.

Ask the council it's worth a try.
    Think it's about time the comping fairy remembered where I am! lol

• steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    find a few big blokes and drag the car sideways to clear the drive....3 big blokes can move a average car...or one and a trolley jack
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    We have this problem with my nans. She is the only house on the street to have its own driveway, all the others share. Her new next door neighbours know she doesnt have a car and seem to think this means they can park over her driveway. Unfortunately they forget that we are around their all the time and so use her driveway at least once a day. Especially as my brother leaves his trailer (hes self employed gardener) in it.

We have found the most effective way is to 'need the driveway to be cleared' at the most innapropriate of times :) Including late at night, first thing in the morning. Or about half an hour after theyve got in and we know theyre just settling down.
    Green and White Barmy Army!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport