PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove my signature (pen marker) from plastic bank card?

Hi there

Oh I've done a silly thing, my partner and I had opened up a few accounts and I've accidently signed his card instead of mine :o

Is there a way of removing my signature by permanent pen/marker at the back of the plastic bank card?

sunni

Comments

• taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Haven't tried it myself, but I'd give nail polish remover and a que tip a go.
    more dollar$ than sense
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    No - it is designed so that this cannot easily be done (in order to help prevent fraud). I found this out when I accidentally washed mine in the washing machine and couldn't re-sign it.

It is technically possible to sign over it if you get the right sort of pen, (and rarely does anyone actually check) but it looks dodgy and IMHO it would be best to get a replacement. If you report it to the bank as having been damaged (instead of lost or mis-signed) then they will usually leave your existing card active for you to use in cashpoints, until your replacement arrives.
  • annie-c wrote: »
    No - it is designed so that this cannot easily be done (in order to help prevent fraud). I found this out when I accidentally washed mine in the washing machine and couldn't re-sign it.

I'd agree with that, and IMHO, this thread should be locked, as more replies might constitute an attempt at fraud :eek: :eek:

Ring the bank and ask for a replacement.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • these days with chip and pin its unlikely anyone will even look at the sig!
  • lolarentt
    lolarentt Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Not worth the bother of trying surely - a quick phone call, tell them what happened, and you'll have a new one in a few days!
  • sunni
    sunni Posts: 785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes will just ring the bank and say what happened and get them to issue a new one.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    My mum did this years ago. When she tried to erase the signature, the strip came up with a message to say that it was voided, so they just had to order a new card anyway.

I don't agree that they won't check the signature, having been caught out with this once when I tried to use my OH's bankcard with chip and pin (its a joint account) and was asked for a signature in the supermarket for the first time in years!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure