The AA 'gold membership, what it is??

Comments

• Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Nowhere on my renewal letter did it say that Gold membership would cost more than standard membership. There was even a breakdown of the price on the letter, which only mentioned the cover we usually get.

I think it's a bit wrong of them to charge us an extra £50 for something we haven't even requested.

They might be getting a letter from me very shortly. Grrrrr :mad:
  • I spoke to someone who worked for the AA and each year when a policy is due to be renewed, they put the price up by a few quid.

I was told that 50% of people never check their direct debits or statements and the AA get the higher price then.

But 99% of the time if you phone up to queery it, they will drop it back down to last years price.
  • Rac put my price up for renewal, so I checked out the price of a new members,and rang them up and asked for that. After a bit of to and fro-ing they gave me that price, and covered my 17 yr old too..don't ask, you don't get..oh, and I had called them out several times that year!
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
  • kazzieg
    kazzieg Posts: 220 Forumite
    Had my renewal through from the AA today, and they want £268.15 for two of us.:eek: Neither of us have called them out for the last year.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I honestly don't get it, why do you guys use aa/rac. Autoaid will cover You and partners car for the year for £38. Highly rated and recommended on this site. Simple price, no messing each year with giving you new levels of cover and then dropping it back down when you phone. I know you have to pay and claim back if you breakdown but we have a credit card just for this very purpose...the reviews all say that turnaround time is fast so no worries about actually having to "pay the bill". In the years we have used Autoaid for cover we have saved a small fortune as we used to use a combination of aa/rac/green flag as we went with whoever was the cheapest.
  • I had the same "gold" membership card crap, doesn't seem to provide much extra. They wanted to nearly double my membership from what I paid last year (online offer is nearly half what the renewal cost)

So I phone them up saying I wasn't prepared to pay that price and after them giving me the blurb about I was covered for this and that blah blah and what great cover it was blah blah they offered me cover for the "reduced price" of £40. When I pointed out it was only £32 online she said she'd have to go away and talk to someone... spent 10 minutes waiting... she finally said it ok and would sort it out at £32.

She then went on a long sales pitch where I got barely get a word in going on about extended cover and household cover blah blah blah almost had to hang up on her.

What a pain. I'm seriously considering whether to cancel for good next year and go with an organisation less... pushy.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kazzieg wrote: »
    Had my renewal through from the AA today, and they want £268.15 for two of us.:eek: Neither of us have called them out for the last year.

Had my renewal through- I joined in 1996 when we were away from home and the car refused to start. AA man couldn't cure it but I joined rather than pay his fee [forget the sums involved]. We've never needed to call on their services since but more importantly I don't like the subscription being open to haggling so I've cancelled and told the lady the reasons. When we joined the AA it was was a club. It then demutualised in 1999, then was bought by Centrica and then merged with Saga to become primarily a money-making machine rather than a service to motorists.

PS the car eventually started - it was eventually diagnosed as due to a dirt encrusted crankshaft position sensor. Warm starts and general running were fine but cold starts were dodgey
  • I don't think I will be a member much longer if this is the way they treat customers!

Like others, we were informed that we have been "upgraded" to GOLD and our premium increased from £161 to £340-ish for a family of 4 at the same address. SO, the wife rang, told them to stuff it, and they came down to £211. They also pointed out that we could get 2 days free European cover 3x a year. So, some payback then. Well, NO!!! Called them up to activate and book, having already checked cost online (£83 for 13 days travelling in France) only to receive quote of £131 - Outrageous. Asked the lady to deduct Parts & Labour and it reduced to £91. Asked her to deduct 2 days free cover and she said it had already been deducted. I asked for 2 days reduction off the £83 I was quoted online. She said I could not have both. Either I took her telephone quote or I could book online which included a 30% discount.

So, do I feel like a valued customer - like hell I do!
    (1) The premium we are paying for GOLD has gone from £161 to £211
    (2) At no point in my conversation was I offered European cover without Parts & Labour until I specifically asked.
    (3) I could have got the membership for £211 online with a £10 Amazon voucher (probably only valid for baked beans or similar)

I will certainly be looking elsewhere next time after many decades of membership. I understand some bank accounts offer inclusive Breakdown cover, which works out cheaper, even after the annual fee.

Tread carefully, in my opinion, or you end up with some nasty stuff on your sole!
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2012 at 6:36PM
    My renewal is due in a few days time. Last month I received my renewal letter informing me that it would be £122 and that this will be collected automatically.

The attached "Gold Membership" card, which should be 24 carat, says that this will cover Roadside and Relay only. In the 10+ years I've been driving I've always had Roadside, Relay and Homestart.

Last year Homestart was complementary (so it says on the card) and so they've quietly dropped it. The cover last year cost £42 and this was after the AA phoned me and offered a lower price to the £127 on the renewal notice. So there was no need to spend time shopping around and I didn't have to ring them.

This year it looks as though I must act to avoid being robbed blind. This really does annoy me as I'd be happy to accept a non-rip-off renewal price meaning that I need do no further work researching prices and so on.

I haven't called them out since 2008 when my vehicle was taken 35 miles to my home on a low-loader.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    This year it looks as though I must act to avoid being robbed blind.

Yes

See my post #10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family