Reclaiming PPI through a company - who's the best?

Comments

• magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You do not need to use a PPI Claim company and you can do it yourself. I just think that using your a claim company you get a better offer of repayment and a more prompt service.

You will get EXACTLY the same offer that you will get if you go direct in almost all cases and EXACTLY the same as you would get if you went to FOS.

I had a friend whom has received an offer from the credit card company and she thinks it was an insult so she contacted a law firm to pursue her claim and she eventually got an offer that was almost 3 times of that of what she was originally offered.

And no more than EXACTLY what she would have got if she had gone to FOS but she will have had to pay a fee to the law firm that would not have been incurred by simply filling in the form and posting it to FOS.

You are posting on the wrong forum. You need MoneyWASTINGExpert.com!
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You do not need to use a PPI Claim company and you can do it yourself. I just think that using your a claim company you get a better offer of repayment and a more prompt service. I had a friend whom has received an offer from the credit card company and she thinks it was an insult so she contacted a law firm to pursue her claim and she eventually got an offer that was almost 3 times of that of what she was originally offered.
    A claims company get you no more or less than what the redress stated by FOS is,they are no quicker either,they have no more power over banks than you or i do.

People post on here with complaints about companies who have not kept in touch and it has taken some years to get redress,when all it takes in reality in most cases is one letter sent recorded delivery.

People have posted offers on this site made to them by the banks and when one of our maths wizards have checked these,and found them to be incorrect,the banks have offered proper redress,all this for 0%.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    smitchy73 wrote: »
    Meant to say the best company to use is Money Saving Expert, PPI reclaiming forum team, comprising, the wonderful dynamic Di, the absolutely amazing Amersall, capitalising cappo, there's mysterious marshalka, and many others to share their experience's, and I may put my tuppence worth in, hehe

Aww and the very "Smart Smitchy73" of course :T:T:T;) x
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    di3004 wrote: »
    Aww and the very "Smart Smitchy73" of course :T:T:T;) x
    Awww shucks Di, thankyou, maybe sometimes smarta**e smitchy might be better, :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    smitchy73 wrote: »
    Awww shucks Di, thankyou, maybe sometimes smarta**e smitchy might be better, :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:, well if you want to be called that hun :rotfl::rotfl::j:j:D x
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    after much deliberation, i've decided just to take the compliment, lol
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • Hi,

I am totally new to all of this and also totally new to this forum and i was wondering if i can get a helping hand. Unfortunately i have a few questions i hope i dont come across an idiot.

Basically i want to try and reclaim PPI on a couple of old credit cards and an old loan..........but they are with creditors at the moment because i am now on benefits and i was majorly conned by these companies. The thing is how do i get the relevant information from these loans etc if i have not kept information apart from the creditors details (would the creditors give me the details) Can i also find out from the companies involved like they have case notes or something.

I was also wondering as regards one of my credit cards (sainsburys bank) do i complain to them directly or do i complain to the company that under-writes them (halifax i think)

I was told by a PPI company that because i still have debt with them that they might not be able to do it because of it.....looking at this it might be a blessing in disguise because they look to be con artists. I just want to know how to get the ball rolling.

Oh sorry one more question, if after eons of time i actually get a settlement how do i know if the banks involved have conned me (especially in the case of credit cards because the PPI changes in accordance to how much you have on the card each month) So what i was wondering for example how could i tell if for example i was offered £1000 and i think great thats fantastic but in reality i am owed £2500. I just have no idea my PPI amounts are now i have gone through so much stuff i cant remember all facts and figures.

What information do i need off these companies, is it every single statement i have ever had, or is it just basic information on the account involved.............and my biggest £64,000,000 question is how the heck do i contact these people trying to get this information without them getting suspicious about what i am doing (or do they legally have to give what you ask for) and if i am contacting them, this changing into another conversation about how they can extract more money from me (the forcing the issue of wanting to raise what i am paying them back each month)

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all of your time.

Kind regards
    Michael.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Basically i want to try and reclaim PPI on a couple of old credit cards and an old loan..........but they are with creditors at the moment because i am now on benefits and i was majorly conned by these companies.

This is very important to your scenario as if you complain and your complaint is upheld, they can use the redress payment to go towards debt written off, defaulted or in arrears before giving you anything.

When you use the term creditors, do you mean a third party and not the original lender?
    I was also wondering as regards one of my credit cards (sainsburys bank) do i complain to them directly or do i complain to the company that under-writes them (halifax i think)
    You complain to the company that sold it.
    Oh sorry one more question, if after eons of time i actually get a settlement how do i know if the banks involved have conned me

In what way do you think you would be conned?
    and my biggest £64,000,000 question is how the heck do i contact these people trying to get this information without them getting suspicious

You dont need to worry about it.
    how they can extract more money from me (the forcing the issue of wanting to raise what i am paying them back each month)

They are not. You are effectively asking for information you have disposed of. You do not need it to make a complaint. If you want copies then you pay for them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    This is very important to your scenario as if you complain and your complaint is upheld, they can use the redress payment to go towards debt written off, defaulted or in arrears before giving you anything.

When you use the term creditors, do you mean a third party and not the original lender?

Hi Thanks for your help. As regards the Creditors they are 3rd Party i think (unless they have underlying connections to the company) For instance my loan was with Santander but the creditor is 1st Credit and Lloyds Credit Cards are using Apex Credit Management.

If it goes to a 3rd party creditor do i talk to them about it or do i talk to the loan company they are with. When making a complaint is there a template complaint letter or something and is it best to do it by writing. I ask this because i have noticed that the page listed on here goes to webpages of the complaints department of banks but also gives a postal address.

I really don't mind if the money gets taken off the original debt as long as i get it recouped in some way or form because i am not happy with their services, Especially the credit card companies their attitudes are disgusting..............i NEVER want to ever get a debt again after this in any way shape or form especially credit cards they are evil. I rather save for 20 years than get one again. In Hindsight i would never have touched anything like this with a bargepole.

Thanks for all your help.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If it goes to a 3rd party creditor do i talk to them about it or do i talk to the loan company they are with.

always the company you bought it through. The company that has bought the debt has no liability. So, go direct to the bank.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure