Preparing plaster for paint

Comments

• misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence;) Only done it on a couple of walls, not had any problems with them:confused: Think it was a builder friend that told me to do it:o Anyway best ignore my post, as apparently it's wrong:D

Almac, you have been very lucky not to have any problems, but the PVAing of walls does cause a hell of a lot of problems, and you only find out the problems after you have painted the walls.

a lot of people are under the misconceiption that you PVA walls prior to painting, but there is no need, if you apply a miscoat,and a few posters on here have done it also, then you wont have any problems I promise you, as long as its not silk.

Sue Balu, I have used F&B on many occasions, and it is a smooth flowing paint, and it has a good coverage, you can either buy extra of the 'grey, and apply a miscoat,ok it might cost you a bit more, but at least you will have a good quality paint on your walls,and some spare for touching up at a later date or, go over the walls with 'Dulux supermatt', again a miscoat (watery down coat),then finish with your F&B, but please try and avoid using 'wicks, or homebase paint if you can.

If your F&B is Vinyl matt, then it wont do any harm going over 'dulux' supermatt, but I wouldnt put supermatt over vinyl paint, same as you dont paint matt over newish silk paint.

I have done this, and you will be okay, as long as you thin down the first coat, and let is dry thoroughly before apply further coats.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    i have just done a job for a person who told me after i'd finished that when she painted the walls , she stripped all the paint off , treated walls with pva and then emulsioned them , 4 months after i'd finished the job in a couple of places the paint had cracked , i got a scapper and it was like peeling wet wallpaper , the new emulsion had lifted the old paint away from the wall , it had no adhesion to the pva or plaster at all . when i explained it was probably due to pva she totally denied saying it and blamed it on me. i think on unibond tins it does say " not suitable for painting with water based paint "
    so in short DO NOT PVA YOUR WALLS !!!
  • helen81_2
    helen81_2 Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    [QUOTE=misgrace

but please try and avoid using 'wicks, or homebase paint if you can.

Hi,

Whats wrong with Homebase paint?? You've got me worried now..Ive bought some for my living room!

Helen x
    love my little man he is amazing :j
  • misgrace
    Sorry to have got you worried helen, its just I have always used 'Dulux', but sometimes a client will buy thier own paint, and if its B&Q or Homebase, then I have to do more coats as its thinner.

Wicks is the worst paint of all, it is like water, I nearly had a nervouse breakdown cause client had bought it, and it just wouldnt cover, I had to do quite a few coats.

I'm sure homebase is okay, its just me, I like the good stuff :)

There is so many offers out at the moment for Dulux, and its so thick, that you get a lot more from the tin, I even find crown a bit thin, if you get chance, try Dulux, and you will see what I mean. :D
  • helen81_2
    helen81_2 Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Phew!

Ok, I'll get refund on other and see if can stretch a few more qwid for delux.

Thanks for reply :D
    love my little man he is amazing :j
  • handyman.
    handyman. Posts: 305 Forumite
    dulux trade all the way for me. Its the mutts nuts.

100% agree with misgrace, so if a customer supply's the paint, it must be dulux trade............I have learnt the painful lesson
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • suitusir
    suitusir Posts: 51 Forumite
    Hi,

All I do is wash down with sugar soap, gets rid of all the plaster debris, always have a good finish.

B+Q do it but prefer wilkonsons own brand a lot betetr.

Hope that helps,

Keep smiling,

Kevin
  • handyman.
    sugersoap removed grease and general dirt.......no need to use it on new plaster.

Better to use one of these, with some 80 grade sandpaper on it, over al the walls before starting painting
    go on, adopt a greyhound
  • misgrace
    I had one of them HM, I couldnt get on with it, I couldnt do the ceilings as it was going all over the place, plus I didnt have the strength for the pushing side of it.

I do it the hard way,:D get up on the steps with a the rough green sandpaper, and away I go, I suppose cause I am used to it now that I dont mind doing this way.
  • handyman.
    misgrace, invest in one of these then. I use both when preping
    go on, adopt a greyhound
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts