PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,112
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    *waves* to Thriftlady - I can see the Malverns from my garden!

5 for today...

1) Speech therapist came out to see younger son at home this morning. Once again, with anyone working in the NHS, he gets top quality, well thought out treatment! (Wish I could say the same about his Senco, cough, cough). He has selective mutism (my son, not the Senco, as far as I know!) so the SALT is writing him a "life story" book aiming to get him to talk to me about any problems he has faced at school, no matter how minor.

2) After the SALT had gone, we went swimming with my brother. We were the only people in the pool again and there was a shaft of sunlight in the middle that we kept swimming through. If you swam underwater, you could pretend you were in an ocean!

3) After swimming, we took my brother back to mum and dad's and my sons went on the trampoline, I think they went to see the pigs and we found a slow worm, albeit a dead one.

4) Went from there into town where they finally decided they would get their hair cut, went to the barbers, to the sweet shop then had a drink in a cafe.

5) Gymnastics class for them afterwards and I had a snooze in the car whilst listening to Chris Evans. Got an Indian takeaway on the way home (they don't deliver as far as my house).

So a lovely day and both sons seem very happy. They've just gone to bed without complaint. Spent bedtime story time listening to various trumpet players on YouTube as big son's trumpet playing is gathering pace.

I'm going downstairs for a child free couple of hours, a cup of tea and to make 3 more bottles of sloe gin.....

L
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Nice new thread. :D

{{{{{Billy858}}}}} - Obviously, I can't tell if this might be relevant to your situation or not - apologies if I'm really off the mark here - but two thoughts that help me when my children say hurtful things to me or their behaviour seems impossible are, firstly, the saying that 'When a child least appears to deserve your love is when they most need it' and, secondly, the idea that children often choose to be angry and foul at the people they feel most secure with and trust because they know that those people won't leave them whatever happens, so it can help to see your child's behaviour as an indication of how safe and loving you have made it for them to express their horriblest feelings IYSWIM. (All easier to manage in theory of course!)

Anyway my five pleasures today:

1. Getting masses more of our sitting room tidied, and boxes put away.

2. Finding lots of unexpired vouchers for all sorts of things (including Tesco's deals) which are still in date. They'd got mislaid in the move.

3. Leftovers for lunch which tasted nicer cold today than they did hot last night!

4. A really helpful phone call with the man from the water board about how much our water metering was likely to cost and realising how much we will probably be saving in comparison to our pre-meter days which was very cheering up.

5. A really peaceful, quiet house right now. Both children have gone to bed early so the telly is off and I am about to make a cuppa, wrap myself up in fleeces and get started on an OU assignment that is due in tomorrow and, I know, will almost write itself, easily and eloquently, in a beautifully structured 2000 words with a minimal need for editing. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (Well, I can start out with good intentions, can't I? :rotfl:)

B xxx
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Had a couple of days away in Mum's caravan so I'm posting some pleasures from the last few days:

1. TV wasn't working (horror!) so DH, DS x 2 and I were in confined space with no TV or internet connection, playing Scrabble, listening to classical music, reading and talking to each other ... and we lived to tell the tale!

2. Being organised enough to take frozen meat and main groceries with us, so we only had to spend a little once there - and treated ourselves to cheap chips and a meal out.

3. Buying myself a brand new pair of shoes and black silk jacket - from a charity shop. Total £5.50. (Hurrah!)

4. Seeing my 9-year-olds engrossed in messing about in rockpools and skimming stones into the sea, and cooing at cute goat kids.

5. Holding DH's hand as we walked across the sand in the bracing wind.
  • bunny_too
    bunny_too Posts: 266 Forumite
    Morning everyone, my 5 for today are

1. make a few more tags etc. for my hm xmas gifts and finish cards.

2. dye some old towels and few items of clothing navy.:money:

3. bathroom blitz,and kitchen floor scrubbed os, down on hands and knees.

4. clear leaves from patio, check on winter pansies and make a list of what i think i might need for growing some veg etc.I have never grown anything before,tried parsey few weeks ago,killed it,forgot to water the poor wee thing. Here's me hoping for tomatoes and potatoes.

5. Friend calling in for coffee, making hm pancakes. yummy

Have a good os day everyone:j This thread is really helping me stay on the os money saving track, thanks again for all your great inspiring posts.:T
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh, I really love reading this thread. Nice shiny new one too!

Hugs billy858.

Broomstick, I really like those two thoughts you've posted. I'm going to write those down and look at them when things are tough with the littlies.

My 5 for yesterday.

1. Visiting SIL and children running around having fun together.

2. Took children to the embankment to look at the swans and ducks (did feel a bit guilty as ducks were obviously waiting for bread but we didn't have any)

3.Visited a library we hadn't been to before, didn't get lost and managed to borrow two books from my to read list. Also seeing the pleasure the children get from finding new books to read.

4. Lovely pasta bake for tea made from left over roasted veg - it was yummy. Also hm garlic bread which was left over from having family round on Saturday so I bunged it in the freezer and it was lovely re-heated last night.

5. Catching up with this feel-good thread.

Have a good day everyone x
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

3. Knitting a headband for DD for a fraction of the ASOS price, and looking forward to crocheting a flower to go onto it

Hi Penelope Penguin,

Do you have a pattern you could share? I'm trying to get into knitting would love to make my DDS a headband.
  • Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Oh dear, haven't had my breakfast yet and the food posts are making me drool!

For yesterday / this morning:
    1 - More things sold on Amazon - hmm think I might be getting obsessed!
    2 - bought most of my Chrstmas presents on line yesterday and scooped up the extra Boots points
    3 - and paid for them using the cash back credited on my cash back credit card so no actual spend!
    4 - it is a lovely sunny day after all the rain
    5 - Oh has a late start this morning so got to have a longer lie and a cuddle :)
    6 - finally got motivated to start a diary on here to track my progress toward saving for a house and repaying the mortgage.......feeling quite positive about it now for the first time in ages!

Enjoy your day!
    Lx
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2009 at 9:29AM
    Good morning all :hello: - yet another mild day forecast - 15deg for this afternoon :). This time last year we were experiencing snow/high winds and I caved in where the c/h was concerned.

thriftlady - thanks for starting the new thread - goes to show how popular your initial idea of 'looking for the positives' has become :grin:. lol at your daughter and friends actually enjoying clearing up the leaves ;).
    PenelopePenguin - Looks like even the chooks don't realise it's almost November ;).
    Haribo - wtg on the Hallowe'en and subscription bargains :j.
    billy858 - sorry to hear your DD1 has been giving you 'a load of old buck' (could be a scouse phrase?) - and have to echo Broomstick's thoughts. They lash out at where they feel the love is the most secure - sort of 'back-handed compliment' really. Personally, I'd accept her apology but make sure that she is aware that the words are still hurting you, and then have good hugs. I'm sure I was a 'witch of a teenager' for a few years though I always loved my Nan and Mum - never 'tried it on' with Grandad/Dad because I wasn't as certain where I stood with either of them ;). Plus a visit from mil - no wonder you've felt a bit down ;).
    Sassers - Brilliant news on the cheque :T and good luck with the job hunting. Great whoopsie there too :).
    2lm6002 - welcome to the thread :hello: and well done on your pleasures :grin:.
    zippychick - Thanks for the explanations re Veda ;). I have heard of Tayto's before - DS1 gets them when he goes on his Ireland fishing trips and brings some back home :). Hope your pumpkin cutting went well ;).
    Knitty78 - wtg on your mealplanning this week :) and well done on taking your own snacks to the cinema and resisting the temptation to eat out.
    funkymonkey849 - that very first 'finished garment' when dress-making is a wonderful feeling - remember it well though it was 40yrs ago for me (aaargh :eek:) - a Maudella pattern. Loving the idea of a 'mystery night' on the mealplan.
    Louba - lol at your No.1 - woman after my own heart ;). Well done on your Clubcard and mortgage payment decision.
    hotcookie101 - hope your red cabbage worked out good in the slow cooker :).
    cherrycake - well done on the body-warmer and boots :grin:!
    SunnyGirl - lol at you all bathing the dogs :rotfl: - a job I've not had to do for many years :). How nice to be appreciated by the OH for your housekeeping abilities :grin:.
    Caterina - well done you on coming out of retirement for a fellow countrywoman :T. I can't imagine how it must feel to be giving birth while everybody is talking to you in another language - I'm sure you're presence will be a great comfort to her.
    Patchwork - Congrats on finishing the OU assignment. Have now got an image in my mind of your friend zigzagging down the road :rotfl:.
    billy858 - sounds like your day finished much better than it started ((((hugs)))) smiley-eatdrink043.gif.
    Kitchenbunny - great news on the fruit/veg bargains. Good luck with your sewing for the hallowe'en costume.
    souk08 - :j on your no-spend-day! Great freebies too :grin:.
    samantha - well done you - sounds like a really good day - peaceful coffee, laundry done, friendly chatting, bargains, glass (or two) of wine and a lovely fresh bed to curl up into - things don't get much better than those :grin:.
    ACEY - Good to hear you've got a great relationship with your son's speech therapist :). Your day with your DS's and brother sounds like one well-spent - all enjoying half-term :grin:.
    Broomstick - Good luck with the water metering and hope the OU assignment went well :grin:.
    scotrae - sounds like your caravan break was good fun for you all :).
    bunnytoo - last year I was planning to do potatoes, but never got around to them - somebody suggested that I should try them in a black plastic bin, which I thought sounded like a good idea. Will definitely have a go next year :grin: - I don't 'do' kneeling on the ground - would love raised beds for growing stuff in. well done you on giving your floors a 'good seeing to' - as I said, something I can't do these days.
    honey - well done on your 'waste not - want not' using up leftovers :).
    Louba - :j on your on-line selling/buying for Christmas. I did it for the first time last year and it was great :).

Mine for last couple of days are:

1. Enjoying 'listening to' the 'Irish Banter' going on between all the Irish posters on the thread :grin:.

2. Good day in work yesterday with no major problems, in fact got a couple of 'lurking problems' sorted out :grin:.

3. OH managed to 'do a favour' for DD yesterday - got her money for her and took it to her house, saving her £8 taxi fare :eek:. He then accompanied her to the GP's and looked after the kids while she went in to see the doc then went with her while she got some school uniform for dgs1 for next Monday. :j yippee finally back in school after 14 weeks.

4. DD has had her medication changed so fingers crossed that this will be of more benefit to her than the last lot.

5. Visited DD at tea-time yesterday and stayed for a couple of hours with OH, her and the kids.

6. The pork chops that I took out of the freezer yesterday will do for evening meal tonight so no planning required for today.

Hope we all have a good MoneySaving/OS-ing day - love Ollie xxx
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Had to post after reading everyone elses......

1. Reading a text from OH who's been watching a family of swans growing up whilst working away for 6 months - 5 are now flying & last 2 look ready to fly :)

2. Bagging a bargain dream wedding dress at 17% of it's original price :D

3. Knowing both DS's are happy & settled and both OS-ing in their own way without much interference from Mum!

4. Having a freezer full of scrummy h/m or y/s food :)

5. Knowing that I've got some wine to drink & recored programmes to watch whilst tackling the ironing mountain! ;)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    1.Hanging out two loads of laundry in the October Sunshine.
    2.Cutting cabbages in the garden and freezing them.
    3.Sausage sandwhich from 3 sausages found hiding in the freezer and the bottom of the tom ketchup eked out with vinegar.
    4.sweeping the ground floor with 'no but a broom' now we have no carpet downstairs.
    5.Leftovers for tea today cunningly transformed into curry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure