is Aldi any good....

Comments

• purply
    purply Posts: 391 Forumite
    We have an Aldi in the middle of Manchester town centre amongst all the shops.

I def think its losing its 'stigma'. At lunch time, its packed with people buying their lunch. I like their food-quality is good. Not sure you could do a full shop-depends on what you buy i suppose!

But I'm glad to see it in the city centre.
    IMHO,I think its a little bit more upmarket that Lidl and Netto
    Respond to every call that excites your spirit.
  • Vangello
    Vangello Posts: 73 Forumite
    I LOVE Aldi, and can do a weekly shop for all of us (2 adults, 2 children, cat and dog!) for about £40 - £30-£35 if I'm very strict!

As others have said, you can't get everything there - I'd rather stick to one type of coffee and washing powder that I get in town or from another supermarket, but most things are great.

I'm not too sure about the toiletries, as I tend to get ours from Savers or Superdrug but the nappies are ok (although not as good as Tescos!) The washing powder is ok, but not as good as named brands, or Tescos/Asda/Sainsburys own. I found the washing up liquid and toilet cleaner to be quite watery and thin as well. The loo roll is good, as is the kitchen roll and the pet foods are good value.

The fruit & veg from there is fantastic and I'd rather buy from there than anywhere else. The grapes are amazing, and cheaper than other shops. They have an offer on a few types of fruit & veg at the minute - I got a pack of 6 conference pears and 6 kiwis the other day for 39p each. It seems to last longer than usual too (IMO)

The dairy produce is fantastic value, the yoghurts and fromage frais are very cheap (good for us as our kids never stop eating them!) the cheeses are gorgeous and the packet meats are lovely too. The frozen food is v. good quality as well - and you HAVE to try their own brand Baileys!! I think it's called Ballycastle and is about £4 per bottle?

Um...I think that's it! The *only* thing I don't like about Aldi is that it doesn't have the browsing opportunity that the other shops do...so no chance for me to buy clothes or books or housey things (except for the offers on the racks!) But that's a good thing really!!

Hope this helps a bit :)

ps: I did a post xmas shop there on Monday, first shop since before Xmas so needed almost everything. It came to £65, which is what I would have spent on just the bare essentials elsewhere!
    Been comping since January '08. Wins so far....NOTHING!:rotfl:*UPDATE* June - won a Bratz doll for my little girl :D

• just found this thread and thought i would add my thoughts I am an aldi convert my shopping bills have reduced drastically and i shop in half the time as there isnt miles of isles to wander..who needs 6 brands of cornflakes to choose from ?? i agree there chopped tinned tomatoes are the best, love their baked beans too rich sauce and plenty beans ..there frozen "romana " pizzas are to die for have won many an award i believe ..i buy their mince hardly any fat in pan after frying , would also recommende bacon gammon cheese for a treat the duck pancakes are well worth a buy ..i could go on but would recoommmend you try it ..my friends say i hsould work as an aldi promoter !!
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ive been a few times to aldi as i have to travel a bit to get therebut ive found everything ive bought to be good be it frozen stuff,fresh meats,etc but i especially like their pesto in jars-so many different kinds,theirpizzas-even the cheapest ones.ive not bought much fruit and veg from there as when ive gone they dont seem to have much left but what is left is a bit battered and bruised

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • I used to use Aldi a few years back when I got divorced then remarried and went back to Asda.However after shopping there tonight and my bill had increased by at least £20 more than usual all I can say is Aldi here I come!
  • skyrocket
    skyrocket Posts: 468 Forumite
    I love Aldi!
    Their Black Bean sauce in amazing and I have tried the ones from Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda and nothing touches the Aldi one.
    I find I prefer Lidl for fruit and veg but either of them are fantastic for chocolates and biccies!
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 71 Forumite
    the only thing i dont like from aldi is their jaffa cakes- everything else is great
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I do 95% of my weekly shop there - wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. Cheaper and better quality than Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda etc.
    Stompa
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Another vote for Aldi

UHT skimmed milk, tinned tomatoes, vegetables, yogurt, soup, olive oil, toothpaste, shower cream (excellent quality and value), washing powder, tissues, to name but a few things I ONLY buy at Aldi.
  • mrsv05
    mrsv05 Posts: 823 Forumite
    nappies are great and have been voted best in a few countries. the wipes are good too. we use their hand cream, deo, make up, bath stuff, cream in a can, veg....could go on.
    A happy wife, and mum to 2 lovely little boys :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport