Please feed back on the Freecycle and Freegle guide

articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, we've written a new Giveaway Sites guide to help you make the most of Freecycle and Freegle.

How did you find the info? If you're a Freegler, do you have any other tips you'd add? What are your best freebies?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• Thanks to the kindness of local Freegle members I've been donated almost all of the components to allow me to build a twenty foot (about six and a half metres in new money) greenhouse. All of the glass, doors, paving stones, most of the timber and industrial rubber backed rugs. It actually looks very good, almost professional!
    Thank you Freegle!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,581
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I replied here from a feedback link in the guide.Clicky
  • I used freecycle to get a sewing machine when i moved last year and although its an old machine (must be twice my age!) it was perfect for making some new cushions and throws etc to jazz up the house and the lovely lady even dropped it off for me as i dont have a car, she saved me a fortune..:T.. a friend of mine told me about freecycle after she moved and desperately needed some furniture.
  • As a Freegle user its been really useful to see them integrate it with Facebook and Twitter. Just makes it easier to see people's posts especially when I've viewing on my phone.

Also had some great items in the past, one top quality high sleeper saved me over a grand.
    :j
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,520
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello Jenny, thank you for the alterations you have made prompted from this post/thread.

Freecycle is the reuse group that hits the headlines because they were here first and the press seem to ignore the Freegle groups that have replaced them in the UK because they do not do enough research IMO.
    Not to forget the other reuse groups as the main aim of them is to find new homes for peoples unwanted stuff rather than a freebies site.

When someone asks me what Freegle/Freecycle is all about I generally explain that if they have a wardrobe that is still in a usable condition that they no longer want. By offering it on the group not only will they find someone to take it away but they will often come and dismantle it or carry out out for you - leaving you to do nothing AND express gratitude to you. Additionally if you are searching for a something - some widget you have lost a part of etc then a WANTED post can be made to see if someone else in your local area has one that they do not mind giving away.

Mtty.
  • edwh
    edwh Posts: 19
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Top tip: if you ever find yourself thinking "surely nobody would want this", then stop right there! The way to find out whether anyone would want it is to try freegling it.

Also think about freegling from work. Firms dispose of a lot of usable stuff, and pay to do so.
  • darkrev
    darkrev Posts: 478 Forumite
    What a great guide, yes I'm a Freegler and proud of it ! My advice would be that when collecting, try not to go alone. Sometimes you get invited into peoples houses ( sometimes they want you to fetch the item or have other things to offer/ show you) . I have been invited in where both parties were wearing small dressing gowns and nothing else. !!!

If you can't collect at the time arranged, Please contact the person you should be meeting in advance, even if you are just stuck in traffic. It really helps. IF you are a NO SHOW , it makes people angry. So if you can , just let them know , its appreciated.

You can also say no sometimes without offending ( it's not easy) .

Make sure you have transport to collect bigger items, don't ask for a canoe cos you fancy one , then not have a clue how you can get it home. Tell the Freegler if you have or haven't transport, when you request it. Many will drop it off when passing but some need a quick removal and won't be able to hang about . So be honest it's appreciated.

Try not to ask for everything you see.

You get to know those you suspect are selling on Ebay or car boots. If you want stuff to sell on car boots. Say so. some people have mixed boxes of stuff they want rid of in one go. Also rude and demanding emails are always ignored, but sometimes English isn't their first language, so please bare that in mind too.

I have enjoyed my time in the Freegle community. It's always an adventure. I have enjoyed sharing we have, because many charities charge people a lot of money for things now. We have received some lovely ( and not so lovely things) . Many those bits and pieces you hate paying for.....like small amounts of paint, or clothes airers even a sewing machine.

We have given away stuff that helped someone turn their spare room into an office and helped someone take their first steps into catering with the clothing and tools we no longer needed.

So go have a clear out of your old paint, your toiletries you tried once and didn't use, the spare kettle and iron you dont need, those glasses and crockery that you don't ever use. The exerciser bike that now collects dust. The cat bed and food it just ignores !

The perfume you got for xmas and didnt like or the bottle of vino that you will never drink. The 100 aloe vera plant cuttings and tomato seedlings that grew too quickly, The jeans that you will never fit again or the maternity clothes you were given and never worn.Old cookery books and stationary too.

You could make someone really happy and one day you might need a roof rack or a baby bouncer or a new bath and a Freegler might just have what you need too ! Just a thot # weirdest thing even seen on Freegle: battery hens with no feathers ( all found good homes) and Stick insects.!
    Thank you to all the money savers:beer: for all the wisdom, companionship, bargains, competitions and ideas:T you have made a transformation to our household, Thank you, it would have been so much harder without you and together we are amazing :A:smileyhea
  • egs
    egs Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 April 2012 at 8:03PM
    "How did you find the info? If you're a Freegler, do you have any other tips you'd add? What are your best freebies?"

I found this info as a result of a "freegle or freecycle" Google alert I receive on a daily basis.

A tip I think would be worth adding is "patience"... A paragraph or two on the subject of patience. Many people keep stuff around for decades and then want to get rid of it today or they threaten they will put it in to trash tomorrow. What's the rush? Take your time.

Eric Snyder
    Ottawa.FullCircles.org (FullCircles.org, a Canadian freecycling venue)
  • missy-
    missy- Posts: 54
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love these sites, got some great stuff over the years. The last GREAT thing I had was a single bed and barely used mattress for my daughter, this saved me between £100-£200!
    There is always lots of baby / kids stuff and this can really help at an otherwise expensive period :-)
    I have to say it is a lot harder to get stuff now than it was a few years ago - I can imagine car boot dealers sat hunched over there computers replying to all offered items.
    In response to an earlier post by edwh - I used to use freecycle a lot to get rid of items from the workplace and this was great - better than just ending up in the bin.
    Lets keep it going guys :-)
  • As a hoarder who cannot throw things out, I find Freegle a Godsend, I check the wanteds and if I have it gathering dust I gift it. :)

My dining room is completely furnished with Freegled items I couldn't have afforded to buy new. this is similar to the one I was gifted. similar table and chairs
    I'm not that way reclined

Jewelry? Seriously? Sheldon you are the most shallow, self-centered person I have ever met. Do you really think that another transparently-manipu... OH, IT'S A TIARA! A tiara; I have a tiara! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback