Ampy Electric Meter, What Do The Lights Mean?

Comments

• dunloadin
    dunloadin Posts: 359 Forumite
    One flash (or impulse) does not equal one unit, if it did we'd all need to be big earners to afford lekkie; the number of flashes per unit should be written on the meter. The meters I fit have 1000 impulses per KW(unit), a second LED gives a longer impulse once per unit.

On initial fit he LED remains constantly on with no load on the meter, once the power is switched on to the house and a load is present the meters led's will 'flash' or recieve an impulse.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dunloadin wrote: »
    One flash (or impulse) does not equal one unit.............

That depends on your definition of one unit. These meters register units of one watt and flash once for each watt used. As already stated in post #2, 1000 flashes equates to 1kWh or one chargeable unit of electricity e.g. a cost of approx 10p.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • kjsmith7
    kjsmith7 Posts: 519 Forumite
    One unit of elec is a little bit more than 10p - or will be when all the prices have gone up!! It's like 25p at tier 1 for me.
  • Perhaps, but if you have multiple tiers that means you're on a No Standing Charge tariff. All it means is they recoup the standing charge by making the first few units you use each month really expensive. Unless you're very frugal you're going to use most of your electricity on Tier 2, which is about 10p/unit.

By the way just to correct upthread, 1000imp/KWh means one flash per watt-hour, not per watt. A watt-hour is one watt drawn for one hour, roughly equivalent to running a torch bulb for an hour. A watt is a unit of power not energy - a kettle is 2200 watts but how much energy it uses depends on how long you boil it.
  • Trune
    Trune Posts: 66 Forumite
    dunloadin, does this mean that there is no load on the meter when im looking at it? i guess its possible, we turn everything off in the flat when i go to work and thats generally when i look?

tho the freezer and heating timer and boiler still have a tiny bit of electric going into them i guess.
  • dunloadin
    dunloadin Posts: 359 Forumite
    Trune, the meter records the load your house is using, and in all likeleyhood it just happened to go off load when the light was on. It's no big deal if this happens, just wish I could use as small an amount of lekkiie as you do!
  • Trune
    Trune Posts: 66 Forumite
    Thanks! hopefully thats what it is then.

Using this little electric is boring.... wish i could still hog it up! lol.
  • Hi
    I have just had a similar meter installed. Your meter is Economy 7, you are charges at one rate for day use and another (cheaper) rate from midnight to o7:00. The solid red light indicates that you are on the "night" rate.
  • The solid LED simply means that there is no load on the meter (no electricity is being used) and the meter has entered 'anti creep' mode. When it is flashing, the flashing rate is proportional to the electricity being used.
  • it means that no electricity is being used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure